Configure multiple IPs for 1 device (failover)

Hello,

I have several devices that have multiple network interfaces (ethernet and wifi), I prefer using ethernet but sometimes I need to free a port on my switch or for some other reasons I absolutely need to use wifi over ethernet for a short period of time and my whole home automation is spoiled.

It would be nice to be able to setup several possible IPs for a device (makes sense mostly for media_player to me but can be extended to several type of devices) so if the first interface does not work HASS can check the 2nd one (and so on if we allow several IPs).
This would help to have a more robust home automation, for example you have both ethernet and wifi setup on your device and the main interface is failing, maybe the 2nd one is reachable.

Not sure how much work this would require and it would be helpful for several people but that would be very useful for my cases :slight_smile:

Don’t take my word for it, but I’m pretty sure support for such a functionality would have to be added to every integration individually, because only the integration is able to know how to behave under certain conditions. The only fairly generic approach I can think of from the top of my head would be to introduce a new custom exception, which an integration can throw in case connectivity is lost. When the core sees that, it tries to tear down and bring up the integration with the secondary IP. But still, this could only work for integrations which support this.

1 Like

It sounds like the best solution would be to rely on DNS names only: