Configuring outlets in HomeKit

I tried to reconfigure some of my switches to be seen as outlets via homekit. I added the relevant documentation as documented here: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/14628

But it seems that once a device is added to homekit, changes in the config for this devices are not reflected in the homekit app. I assume that after removing the home assistant homekit component and adding it again, the device would be shown as outlet. Is there an easier way to achieve this, since it would require to rearrange all items in the correct rooms.

I don’t have a answer, but I was curious as to why you would want a switch to show as a outlet?

Out of curiosity. I did not have a outlet device configured yet. So I just want to see how it shows up in the homekit app. I just saw the icon here: https://sixcolors.com/post/2017/12/adding-homekit-to-incompatible-devices-with-homebridge/

you can change the icon within the home app, I have wemo wall plugs and can choose a light bulb, outlet or fan icon. just in case you didnt know.

Switch icons can be changed to fan or light only. Seems that an outlet can not be changed via the app to a switch and vice versa.

I don’t have any issues doing it?

That is what I meant. You can’t set your Dining Room Fireplace to be shown as an outlet, since it is a switch. Thats why I wanted to have an outlet in the first place.

Since you have both: I there any difference between a switch and an outlet other than the icon? Any different features?

No none at all, it would be nice to get the Wemo wall plug to be dimmable but I couldn’t figure that out!

But I can have the dining room icon show up as a light, a switch or outlet…

But same function either way

Unfortunately HomeKit uses the type that the accessory first connects with. However you can temporarily exclude the entity with the filter restart, include and restart again. That should do the trick.

Thanks, that seems to be a faster way than reconfiguring all devices.

PR to update the HomeKit docs has been opened here.

Thanks to @Tribune for bringing this up!