Confusion Abounds

There is a hot topic currently about Deprecating Home Assistant Supervised on generic Linux. I am not here to discuss the ins and outs of that possibility.

There was another hot topic nearly four months ago about Changing the Home Assistant Brand

Now, I am preparing myself for the likely outcome that I would be better off migrating to a supported install.

Part of that preparation is to understand the options :wink:

Given the confusion I thought Iā€™d start at the beginning and try and get things straight in my head once and for all because it may be my age but the name changes referenced above confused the hell out of me.

I know, I thought, how about I go to the Glossary? It is after all the most prominent link in the sidebar of the Documentation page, that could be a good starting point.

hhhmmmā€¦

A LOT of ā€˜noiseā€™ in the ā€˜hot topicā€™ has been around the confusion over what type of install people have. Instead of (or at the same time) as introducing some far reaching changes surely at least the high level documentation can be kept up to date and meaningful?

ā€¦and the aim is to make things easier for new people?

2 Likes

I donā€™t wish to seem flippant but your own image has the solution:

Be as flippant as you like then I can be flippant in returnā€¦

Just write your own definitions and watch the PR be shot down in flames.

2 Likes

PR submitted.

3 Likes

Hassio - used to be what we called homeassistant when homeassistant was just homeassistant, which we now call homeassistant core.

Hassos - the horse that the bloke from Dudley keeps in his house

(I appreciate the latter will make no sense to anyone outside the UK, but there we are :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

you leave the black country outta this

1 Like

Picture of a horse in your kitchen or Iā€™m not having it that youā€™re one :wink:

i left there many moons ago to live here in sunny Australia. so no horses

Ha, well, at least you got the joke - but you would have got extra Internet points for a hassroo :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Fixed :wink:

ha

3 Likes

Not trying to rain on your efforts but there should also probably be definitions of the differences between the ā€œHome Assistantā€, ā€œHome Assistant Coreā€ and a ā€œvirtual Environmentā€ installs.

Those always seem to be a point of confusion as well.

And thanks for the updated docs.

1 Like

I actually submitted another PR about 30mins ago for exactly that

3 Likes