Connect Google Chromecast With Google TV to Homekit via bridge with proper TV controls?

I’m struggling to find a way to properly connect my google chromecast with Google TV from home assistant into HomeKit and have it show up as a TV device (in Home app on iOS) with proper controls for play/pause/etc.

Attempt 1:
I just set up a typical Homekit bridge via the UI.
This results in the chromecast showing up as a series of 3 separate switches in Homekit/Home app as noted in some other posts. The issue stems from the media_player not defaulting to device_type tv per prior posters.

Attempt 2:
I set up a HomeKit bridge via YAML instead of the UI and changed the device_type in customize.yaml

Configuration.yaml:

homeassistant:
  customize: !include customize.yaml

homekit: !include homekit.yaml

homekit.yaml:

-name: Chromecast
  port: 21609
  filter:
	include_entities: 
         - media.player.chromecast
  entity_config:
     media_player.chromecast:
       feature_list:
        - feature: on_off
        - feature: play_pause
        - feature: play_stop
        - feature: toggle_mute

customize.yaml:

media_player.chromecast
  device_type: tv

-Same result as attempt 1

Attempt 3:
I realized that per the HA documentation, to pair a media_player with device_type tv you are supposed to use accessory mode as noted here:

I changed the HomeKit bridge to accessory mode in YAML and kept the customize.yaml as above
This results in the chromecast appearing in Homekit as a single on/off toggle. However, when you turn it on, it casts Home Assistant to the chromecast instead of just turning on the TV to the chromecast. If you toggle it off, it turns off the HA cast but leaves the TV on (and resorts back to the chromecast home page).

-name: Chromecast
  port: 21609
  mode: accessory
  filter:
	include_entities: 
         - media.player.chromecast
  entity_config:
     media_player.chromecast:
       feature_list:
        - feature: on_off
        - feature: play_pause
        - feature: play_stop
        - feature: toggle_mute

I’m trying to get this to work as a typical on/off switch for the TV and allow me to control media on the chromecast via HomeKit. Is that a lost cause or is there a way to actually make this work?

Thanks!

Did you ever figure this out? I’m trying to do the same thing.

Nope, gave up. Any luck on your end?

Does your HA see android tv integration or only google cast?
In case android tv is available you can configure universal media player and expose it to homekit with device class tv.
Then to make all buttons work you need to configure your iOS remote as described in section “iOS Remote Widget” on this page.

Following. I have the same issue and am looking for a solution. Haven’t been able to find much online.

1 Like