Connect two Home Assistant instances together

I this also working over WAN and not LAN only? I have tried a bit with a duckdns address but it doesn’t seem to work

I found that this line now have to be disabled

But still no luck in getting any response from my remote slave HA (on a duckdns link).

Hello,

Find below my working config. I don’t use the “api_password”. Note that I could not make work the “entity_prefix”. To replace that I add manually in my remote HA the prefix I want to use, in order to not mix the entities from the local HA and the remote HA.

remote_homeassistant:
  instances:
  - host: !secret HaSlave
    port: 8124
    secure: true
    access_token: !secret haslave_access_token
    #entity_prefix: "HAslave_"
1 Like

Thanks for your reply but do you connect over LAN or WAN? I’m trying over WAN and that could be the problem. I see you have another port no. for your Slave and that tells me you must use LAN.

Hello, so both are in the same LAN.
But using duckdns, this is the same as if you connect via WAN.

Well I tried with DuckDNS but I could not get it to work but now I’m using ZeroTier One addin and it works like a charm. I can highly recommend it.

Hi there,

How were you able to create the access token ?

thanks,
jens

I’ll latch on to this one. I have copied the folder to custom_component in one of my instances. The sensor.remote_connection_192_168_1_101_8123 shows “connected” as a status, with this info:

host: 192.168.1.101
port: 8123
secure: false
verify_ssl: true
entity_prefix: ''

And nothing populates. I have switches both places, but no extra switches shows up.It’s on an inaccessible internal network (behind a pfSense Firewall that doesn’t forward that port, so I have no security on it. Is that the problem?

If anyone else has issues here with switches from one HA instance not reliably being sent to the other: it seems like this is a problem with sending “toggle” specifically. Sending an on or off state change works as intended. Using a dummy switch to always send on or off instead of toggle dodges this bug.

So in my case, the local HA dashload has a boolean dummy switch (Configuration > Helpers > Boolean) with automations that trigger when that boolean turns on or off. Any further automations that need to toggle the light? Just point those at the boolean as well.

Hi, i´m new and sorry for my poor english that it was my schoolenglish from germany.

My setup is:
Pi 3b+ with HA and a slush Zibgee Dongle.

It works very well. Now i like to connect to a zigbee doorsensor in the basement / cellar but its to far for the signal and repeater don´t help me, the walls are build with reinforced concrete.

Now i had a D-Lan / Network over the socket in the basement / cellar .
Can i build in a seperate Pi1b + HACS with a old CC2531 Stick (with firmware ) and connect via RJ45 lan Cable to my main HA up in the loft ?

Can i take this manual to install and will it work ? Manual

or there are any other suggestions ?

Thanks for help !!

If it just for Zigbee, install just Zigbee2MQTT on your Pi1b, no need to install HA + HACS. Besides, although HA works on a Pi1b, it is slow, very slow… (Count at least 20 min for a restart)

thanks for the fast answer!
yes it´s only for Zigbee for the Door / WIndow sensor optional for a watersensor .

But how can i install Zigbee2MQTT and connect it , can i found it later in the main HA Integrations ? it´s not more easy if i install HA CS and the CC2531 STick and initialisate it quickly over the mask ?

I´ve to start the Pi one Time and let run it 24/7 , i don´t cost much energy / money ~1 Watt.
What is the better way ?
I thoungt the connectivity only run if i install HA CS that i can found the pi over mi pi3 HA integration screen

You have to install a mqtt broker (can be the HA add-on) and the mqtt integration

or
https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/guide/installation/05_python_virtual_environment.html#installing

and enter the location of your mqtt broker in it’s configuration.yaml

thanks a lot sir !

I think if i fallow the first link i had to install resbian ?

for the second link i can install Zigbee2MQTT without Resbian ?

Which size for SD Card i need ?

And a additional question is, if i finished the install, have i to integrate the zigbee sensors a second time or is it enougt that i integrate the zigbee devices in the Main HA on the end of the RJ45 cable ?

You need to have Raspbian installed, a 16 or 32 Gb card is enough. The Zigbee2mqtt devices will be autodiscovered if you enable autodiscovery when installing the mqtt integration.

1 Like

perfect, everything else will do the Main Ha i think, correkt ?
But i had to add the second Pi to the Main , which integration can i user or can i search only like to search mqtt things ? or nothin to do that the ha is automaticly slaved the main HA pi ?

If you use on your second pi the mqtt broker that your HA uses, it is automatically ‘slaved’

1 Like

the same broker programm do you mean ? my broker is over HA run , is it a misstake?

Zigbee2mqtt needs to use your HA broker to link the 2

1 Like

Now i´m at Home, this is my Broker grafik
what can i install , the Zigbee2mqtt binding on the second pi ?

My Addon is deCONZ