Connecting Samsung dongle HD2018GH to Home Assistant

Hello,

Does anybody know if it possible to connect the Samsung HD2018GH dongle to Home Assistant.

I currently have the dongle connected to my Samsung Fridge/freezer and can see all the temperatures/door states etc via the smart things hub integration in home assistant.

However as with a lot of the people on this forum I would like to move away from the cloud and run everything local so I recently brought a Sonoff Zigbee USB dongle and am in the process of moving my smart things devices into home assistant which at the moment is going well. Except that I can’t see the fridge after putting it in AP mode.

Having discovered that the Samsung Dongle is actually running over Wi-Fi. How do I go about bringing it directly into home assistant without the smart things hub.

Any help, info or comments are greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Jasesun

Post your model of fridge and freezer also.
There might be some REST interface or other way to get the info without the dongle.

My Fridge/Freezer model number is RS67N8210S9/EU. I asume you mean without the Zigbee dongle as opposed to the samsung dongle.

I just browsed the internet for info on the Samsung fridges and the USB dongle.
I think there is a chance you can get the dongle to work with HA, but it will not give you the result you are looking for.
The dongle is just an USB WiFi adapter and it have nothing as such to do with a local network interface.
There seems to be no such thing, so only way to connect to your fridge is through the cloud.

Thanks for the Info Wally

At the moment I have managed to get it to work with the following code (below) but this relies on the cloud hence the reason for buying the Zig Bee Dongle. I was hoping that I could just point the resource at the Samsung Dongle and pull the information straight from the Fridge as opposed to the website.

You mention that there is a chance to get it working but I won’t get the right result, out of interest how would I go about doing this and what would the result be?

Many Thanks

J

*sensor:*
*  - platform: rest*
*    name: Kitchen Fridge*
*    resource: https://api.smartthings.com/v1/devices/********-****-****-****-************/status*
*    headers:*
*      Authorization: Bearer ********-****-****-****-*************
*    json_attributes:*
*      - "components"*
*    value_template: 'OK'*
*  - platform: template*
*    sensors:*
*      fridge_temperature:*
*        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.kitchen_fridge.attributes["components"]["cooler"]["temperatureMeasurement"]["temperature"]["value"] }}'*
*        device_class: temperature*
*        unit_of_measurement: '°C'*
*      fridge_cooling_setpoint:*
*        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.kitchen_fridge.attributes["components"]["cooler"]["thermostatCoolingSetpoint"]["coolingSetpoint"]["value"] }}'*
*      fridge_rapidcooling:*
*        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.kitchen_fridge.attributes["components"]["main"]["refrigeration"]["rapidCooling"]["value"] }}'*
*      freezer_temperature:*
*        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.kitchen_fridge.attributes["components"]["freezer"]["temperatureMeasurement"]["temperature"]["value"] }}'*
*      freezer_cooling_setpoint:*
*        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.kitchen_fridge.attributes["components"]["freezer"]["thermostatCoolingSetpoint"]["coolingSetpoint"]["value"] }}'*
*      fridge_rapidfreezing:*
*        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.kitchen_fridge.attributes["components"]["main"]["refrigeration"]["rapidFreezing"]["value"] }}'*
*      fridge_switch:*
*        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.kitchen_fridge.attributes["components"]["icemaker"]["switch"]["switch"]["value"] }}'*
*      fridge door:*
*        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.kitchen_fridge.attributes["components"]["cooler"]["contactSensor"]["contact"]["value"] }}'*
*      freezer_door:*
*        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.kitchen_fridge.attributes["components"]["freezer"]["contactSensor"]["contact"]["value"] }}'*

I meant that the result would just be an USB working as a WiFi adapter…
There is no SmartThing in that dongle. It is just a netcard

Ok thanks again Wally.

Hi there,

I have the exact same.fridge but without dongle. What dongle did you use or you know it will work with smartthings or HA?