Connecting SONOFF POWR320D to an electric water heater that has 2 hot wires, (2 different loads)

Hello!

In my home power voltage is 125 V, like in USA.
I have an electric water heater and it is connected to two hot wires (2 load wires), and one ground wire.
Between the two hot wires the voltage is 214 V.
Can I connect SONOFF POW R320D to a water heater?
How to do this without a neutral wire if there are two different load wires? Is this possible?

Thank you!

Best regards, Andrew!

People!
Do you have any ideas? :frowning:

It’s very sad, more than 24 hours have passed, but no one has been able to answer or help me.

It would be nice if someone could answer how and in what diagram to connect 2 hot wires (without neutral wire)?
I have thoughts about this, but I’m not sure if it’s right or safe to do it.
As an example, connect the hot wire #2 instead of the neutral wire, that is, connect the second hot wire from the network to the neutral terminal, and bring the same hot wire to the water heater through the adjacent neutral terminal. That is, instead of neutral wires, conduct a hot wire #2 .

Please tell me, can I do this and is it safe?
I can’t find this information anywhere.

Thank you!

I sure would not connect a live wire where a neutral is required.

Hi all!

Perhaps this will be useful to someone.

I connected the SONOFF POW R320D to a water heater that has 2 different hot wires (2 different load wires), and 1 ground wire, according to the diagram that I already attached above.
Everything works well.
Here’s how to make the connection.
Hot wire #1 enters the L in terminal, hot wire #1 exits the L out terminal to the water heater, hot wire #2 enters the N terminal, hot wire #2 exits the N terminal to the water heater. The grounding wire is connected from the network directly to the water heater.
In my country and home the standard voltage is AC 125V, this is the voltage between the hot wire and the neutral wire, in the case of electric water heater, more voltage is needed, so instead of the neutral wire they use a second hot wire. In this overview, the voltage between hot wire #1 and hot wire #2 is AC 214 V. So in this case the second hot wire should be treated as a neutral wire, which simply raises the voltage from 125 V to 214 V.

Additional information SONOFF POW R320D is designed for a maximum voltage of AC 240 V, since in my country the voltage is AC 125 V and the voltage between two hot wires is AC 214 V I was able to connect 2 load wires, but if your country has a standard voltage between the hot wire and the neutral wire AC 230 V, then the voltage between the two hot wires will already be AC 380 V, and you will exceed the maximum voltage of the SONOFF POW R320D and it will be damaged. This is something to keep in mind.

1 Like