Connecting to wifi

How can you configure HA, on Raspberry PI, to connect via WIFI? Use case example: Accessing HA from a computer not on ethernet, or a mobile phone.

Should this just work out of the box, or do I need to do config?

What happens currently. On HA Android app: “Unable to find your Home Assistant Instance”
Opening http://hassio.local:8123 in a web browser, : “Server not found”.

Have you checked out this thread?

Also, this:

https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/e4bff62923b8412ce9ea051d43d00b2f674bad24/Documentation/network.md

I’m not really sure which step you’re asking about. If it’s on your network, it’ll have an IP address. Use that instead of “hassio.local” in the URL.

From an external network (i.e.; the internet) you’ll need to know your external IP address (or set up DNS) and set up port forwarding on your router.

The pi doesn’t need to be on wifi for your wifi devices to connect to it. As long as everything is on the same LAN, there’s nothing you need to do, but use IP addresses and not rely on hassio.local

It’s impossible for a device to connect to your wifi automatically without any intervention to create the connection…

How can I use IP addresses? I opened my router, and am trying to connect to the IP associated with my Pi via the cell phone, with no luck.

I’m not really sure which step you’re asking about. If it’s on your network, it’ll have an IP address. Use that instead of “hassio.local” in the URL.

From an external network (i.e.; the internet) you’ll need to know your external IP address (or set up DNS) and set up port forwarding on your router.
Thank you; it sounds like I need to set ip IP addresses.

This seems like a pretty straightfwd out-of-the-box thing to do. Any thoughts on adding this to the official tutorial or docs/FAQ? Or is this too router-specific?

What do you mean? Don’t you already have access to your pi, so you know what the IP address is?

How are you trying to connect?

Not everyone wants their HA accessible via the internet.

It’s too router specific, and there are too many options for accessing. There’s more than one method of configuring this.

I found a list of devices connected to my router by navigating to my router’s ip address. I found one associated with my Hassio.io Pi. I entered that address in a web browser on my phone. The browser couldn’t find a page there.

And you appended the PORT to it?

http://ip.address.of.pi:8123

1 Like

I did not - adding the port solved this. Thank you very much.

Perhaps you need to read the getting started guide.

Home Assistant will be available at http://hassio.local:8123 . If you are running an older Windows version or have a stricter network configuration, you might need to access Home Assistant at http://hassio:8123

There used to be a note about how hassio gets “broadcast” across your network, and informed you to use the IP address if the name didn’t work, but apparently someone thought it would be wise to just remove important information like that.

You make a good point; something you should realize about HA. Yes, someday, there should be documentation which leads someone with no networking experience step-by-step, without a lot of searching, jargon or obfuscation.

We’re not there yet. I tried to document one step in the thread I linked to, above, but I’m still not at a level where I’ve been able to navigate all the requirements for being able to actually update or write documentation for this project. Yes, it’s daunting for a newcomer.

The good news is that the folks who do know all the inside details of HA are working furiously on the technical aspects of the project. Presumably, one day there will be time to write it all up.

That’s the guide I used to set up HA: It’s well-written, and for me, was complete to get up-and-running with no other knowledge about HA. Maybe we need a contingencies section?

I’m suspicious that the docs etc will improve with time. If this is a fast-moving project, keeping the docs up to date can be a pain. But it would reduce the number of questions posted here.

Another challenge for docs is that any one editor may experience problems unique to their setup.

I suppose an end goal of this project could be an open-source, arbitrarily-flexible setup that’s accessible to people without a technical background.

1 Like

The documentation is in part handled by the community. ANYONE can contribute and edit the documentation.

That’s already a goal.

I got as far as setting up a GitHub account. Beyond that, I’m just as lost as with any other aspect of this project. I could spend some more time searching, learning and looking things up. But there are so many other things to learn, I should probably put that effort elsewhere.

You just click the link at the top of the page that says EDIT THIS PAGE. You can edit the contents, and create a pull request. It’s pretty simple actually.

I’m gonna try it one of these days, I promise. Just so much to learn!! Like, first I have to learn what a pull request is.

Or you could just edit a page, which opens it in your github account, where you can just hit the PROPOSE FILE CHANGE