I’m not sure where else to post this so I’m putting it here in the hopes that it helps someone else out down the line or aids me in fixing my configuration if something is broken.
I have the following setup on my Google Pixel (Android N) phone:
Owntracks -> Orbot App VPN -> Orbot -> MQTT
This is all working when I set it all up and messages were propagating HASS properly after starting the different apps. However, I noticed that when I was checking back a while later the endpoint state was showing as “Data connection not available” and the Endpoint state message was “Not available” and HASS wasn’t getting position updates.
I eventually ended up playing with the Doze settings in Android N and that seems to be the culprit. Once I excluded Orbot and Owntracks from optimization, I haven’t been seeing the problems any more and background updates seem to be working as expected.