Considering migration from buggy rPi to Synology

Hey there,

I currently run Home Assistant on an rPi 3 1GB RAM and it’s been crashing a lot recently (seemingly hardware related, have swapped out power sources, uninstalled all but the most basic configs/add-ons, etc). I am considering getting a Synology NAS for other reasons (primarily home computer backups) but my thought is, perhaps I should migrate my HA install from the rPi to the Synology. This leads me to a few questions I’m hoping y’all may be willing to answer.

Supervisor vs discreet containers

If I understand correctly, supervisor is the version of HA that manages the HA Core as well as installs add-ons, etc. I also understand that its functionality on Synology’s container system is no longer officially support? I do currently use a few add-ons (e.g., MQTT, Ring-MQTT with Video Streaming, Matter Server). I don’t mind standing up a few docker containers for each of those services, if necessary. Would y’all recommend doing that sort of setup or using one of the unsupported methods of supervisor on the NAS?

Minimum hardware specs

I’m looking at the DS224+ with 2GB of RAM as a starter NAS. Is that enough RAM? I realize that more RAM is almost always better, but is that enough? Do the decisions about separate docker containers vs supervisor factor into this decision?

Thank y’all.

Good luck with your project! But yeah, it needs more RAM. If you want to run HA with addons, on Synology, only supported way is via VMM. And VMM will require more RAM than this.