Control 868.3 MHz thermostat in home assistant

Hi,

I have a thermostat that talks to my boiler on 868.3MHz. I want to be able to control this in home assistant.

If I buy a CC1101 and an esp board can I learn the signal of the thermostat and then send the signal from the CC1101 to my boiler?

I can’t seem to find a guide on this.

This is the thermostat my boiler is set up with.

Thanks all

The reason you can’t find any guides on this is probably because each device works differently.
It could be very straightforward, but it could also be a pain due to different settings create different codes.

The parts are cheap so just give it a try.

Is there a general guide to teach me how to learn the signal?

I know how to install the cc1101 open esp home once it it’s there I do not know how to go about learning the signal.

Thanks

You use the dump option.

The docs say IR or 433, not sure why 868 is not listed.
Perhaps it doesn’t work?

Hmmm, I’ll buy the parts and hopefully will be able to figure it out.

Thanks for your help

You need a transceiver and not a receiver.
That is the tricky part with 868MHz RF signals.

The CC1101 says it works with 868 does that mean it is a transceiver?

It probably says something on the page you are looking at.
Since we don’t know what page you are looking at then we can only guess since sometimes there are parts with the same name and different functionality

A transceiver is a transmitter and receiver in one unit.
You need to be able to receive to get sensor that and you need to be able to transmit to send control action.
Both the unit and the software needs to support this.

Ok understood.

So it seems the CH1101 which is the 868 model is only a receiver, but I’ve read that I can attach a wire to the GPIO pin of my Raspberry pi and can transmit from there, so gonna try that

Cheers

Or you just buy one that works for both.
No reason to buy one that might possibly work as a hack.

Ehh what?
The GPIO pin can transmit a signal, yes, but it is a signal in a wire. It is not a RF signal.

I’ve decided to abandon it for now. Apparently it’s not so simple to just read the signal and send it from my boiler even with a transceiver as the receiver won’t necessarily pick up the signal and my expertise doesn’t stretch very far.
Thanks for all your help guys👍