Control a rely with manual toggle swich and esp

hi guys im new in smart home i have a project and i hope you can help me :grinning:
i have a 4 chanel rely i want control it with home assistance and toggle swich i program esp and know i can control rely with esp but i dont know how program esp to control rely with toggle swich
my plan is to connect toggle swich with a pin and when i change toggle swich pin change to low or high and bace on the rely pin change
i need help with
1-how connect toggle with esp pin i conect gnd pin to swich and then to d7 pin i dont know i to it right
2-with coding its do like that(when pin d7(is toggle swich pin)change from low to hight if pin D1(rely 1 pin) is high do nothing else change pin 1 to hight /when pin d7 change form hight to low if pin 1 is low do nothing else change pin 1 to low
and i want to its thing in esp not home assistance because if my server go offline i still can control my rely
sorry my English is not good
thank

Does it have to be a toggle switch?
A push button is more consistent intuitively, a switch can be perceived as on in a certain state.

If you want a toggle then you need to add automations to the GPIO pin like:

on_turn_on:
    - switch.toggle: relay
  on_turn_off:
    - switch.toggle: relay

The above is perhaps not correct syntax, I just wrote it from what I remember.

Using a button you use on_press → switch.toggle.
No big deal whichever you use.

But you are correct in your thinking about having the switch on a separate pin, just remember to add pull-up or pull-down.

hi thanks
its must be toggle switch a dont want to change original wall toggle
i use pin d7 for toggle swich (connect gnd pin to toggle and to pin d7)
i define d7 as a swich but when i turn on toggle swich on pin d7 status dont change

What yaml do you have for d7 pin?

its like that
switch:

• platform: gpio
    pin:
    number: 13
    name: “toggle 1”

it says 13 here…

Remember to paste code inside a code block (preformatted text </>)or it’s much harder to find errors

pin D7 number is 13

Ok… got it.

try and make the pin pull-up:
GPIO Binary Sensor — ESPHome
This should make the pin on until the switch grounds it.

1 Like