Control old (2008) RX-V863 Yamaha receiver through home assistant

I was inspired by GitHub - samm-git/marantz-rc-esp32: Web based remote control for Marantz amplifier using ESP32. The project uses an ESP to control a Marantz receiver through an IR port on the amp rather than sending commands with IR Leds.

My Yamaha AV has a similar port, a jack 3.5mm in-port. After some digging around and combining some of the great work of others I now have a working prototype using ESPHome.

I have connected a mono jack cable to the D2 and GND of a wemos d1 mini and am now able to send IR commands to my old RX-V863 Yamaha through HA. Included below a link to my repo on Github:

Code for Denon is included in the original repo:

I have also used the work of:

4 Likes

I just bought my first ESP32 boards. I had idea of using them to control my floor heating, but now that I found this one maybe I try to make one of the boards to work with my old RX-V1900 AV receiver. Need to dig deeper into this.

The RX-V1900 has a serial port. It could be that it works with this custom integration GitHub - mvdwetering/yamaha_ynca: Custom integration for Home Assistant to support Yamaha AV receivers with the YNCA protocol (serial and network). (I am the author)

It does mean you would need to either connect it with serial cable to Home Assistant which may not be practical. Or use some kind of serial-to-TCP converter and connect through a network.

Nice, my prototype of nearly 2 yrs old still works without issue or delay. Only downside is that there is no feedback of the status. I can imagine the alternative option with the serial cable had that added benefit. An esp can also communicate over serial maybe with a rs485 or rs232 adapter. Good luck!

Thanks. I’m familiar with that integration but always thought my receiver is too old to use that. All this ESP stuff is new to me and I have no idea how serial cable or any kind of adaptors work. Need to google about this. :confused: :slight_smile:

I finally had some time on my hands to make this work. It was quite easy to do. And got it working at first try. Even my soldering skills didn’t let me down. Code needed little tweaking but other than that it was smooth sailing. :+1:

1 Like