Control phone's bluetooth connection to devices

I am looking to have automations that will make my phone connect/disconnect to/from specific devices using bluetooth connection. I suspect this has to be done via intent notifications. But I am definitely lost in my search.

Anybody knows if this is possible (I have samsung phone with Android 10) and how?

A use case scenario is to connect to my car or some speakers in my home, depending on my activity, then starting a routine, and disconnect after the routine.

There is an existing feature request for this.

1 Like

So should I understand that there’s no known way around in the meantime?

you can always use tasker as a workaround, send a broadcast intent from the app using a notification command to tasker. Then in tasker listen for that event and setup your automation that way.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I may look up for that way of doing it, despite that I turned to Home Assistant in order to get away from Tasker.
Have a good day.

there will always be things that Tasker will do better than the HA app can do, combining the 2 apps will allow you to do everything.

1 Like

It looks like this will be a fight with Google then and HA will probably loose.
Until Android 13 it was possible, but then Google shut it down.

you are referring to turning bluetooth on/off which indeed that change in android 13, this request in particular is to change the connecting BT device which is not the same :slight_smile:

I don’t wish to to divert the subject out of HA here. But for people who stumble on this thread and are tempted by Tasker, you may find Macrodroid a more user friendly alternative.

1 Like

I read that it was not possible to make a connection too, but it seems that if the device is already bonded (paired) then it is possible, otherwise the same security issues arise as with enabling/disabling BT.

Is this feature already possible now to connect to a specific Bluetooth device?

no it has not been added, but in the meantime you can leverage tasker to do it I think

Yeah, I tried tasker, with the “Bluetooth connect” task, but it doesn’t connect to my device :frowning:

Was hoping that companion app could do it…
Is there Somekind of PR or discussion so I can subscribe to this new feature request?

if tasker can’t do it then chances are high the app may not be able to since we would probably use the same API

there is an existing request on github that you can subscribe to.

Ok, thnx for fast feedback as always! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, can’t find the request on GitHub, can you point it to me?

1 Like