Control tado hot water switch

It is possible to control heating via the tado integration and the associated climate entity. From other comments I understand the same is possible if tado is used to control the hot water temperature. My tado set-up just acts as a switch to turn the hot water on and off - is it possible to add this functionality - at present I can see various hot water sensors, but no way to switch the hot water heating on and off?

For some reason the current tado api implementation that HA uses does not allow for controlling of the boiler (on/off) / water temp.

I am using IFTTT webhooks to call BOILER ON and BOILER OFF events from HA.

I donā€™t like the fact that it uses the internet to control a local device, but thatā€™s what it is (for now)ā€¦

Would you please give us a clue how to setup IFTTT webhooks to call BOILER ON and BOILER OFF events from HA? It may be not the best solution, however I can use this workaround for a while.
Thanks

It is possible to turn on off hot water boiler through tado API. There is a working node component for Node Red:

It can control heating, but there is no water control. I post an issue to the developer github. Hope it will add this feature.
1 Like

I made necessary amendments to Node-Red pallets code to control hot water and sent them to the developer to make it official in future. If some one need them now I can share. you will need manually replace necessary files in your Node-Red setup.

1 Like

Hi Serge.

There are quite a few steps involved and Iā€™ll be happy to do a complete write up but have to dig up my old notes.

See that you have an alternative solution with node-red which is much preferrable, especially now that I am getting regular unregistered webook requests (ie. hackers trying to gain access)ā€¦

Can you share your mod / addition for hot water in the node-red pallet code?

Thanks, JP

Two modules are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnsanr0uj25jw7p/AACE4AoQ3qwWR6fsw_NkuqaNa?dl=0
You need to copy them to node-red/node_modules and restart Node Red.
Original modules are here:

https://github.com/mattdavis90/node-red-contrib-tado-client
https://github.com/mattdavis90/node-tado-client

I hope the developer will include my amendments.
And this is the simple flow in Node Red

By the way, as I understand, such functionality should be in Home Assistant soon. Iā€™ve found nesessary changes here:

Hi @flyingpenguin, has there been any update about this? I would like to control the hot water boiler locally in HA the same way I control the temperature, but in the device list I just see the Tado internet bridge and the smart thermostat, no signs of the boiler

Hi @heisenberg. Apparently the Tado integration (https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/tado/) now controls hot water too, just like a thermostat.

I am intent on keeping to use tado as a homekit accessory (no cloud for all other functionality), but tadoā€™s homekit api still does not support hot water, so stuck with the IFTTT route (which works very well BTW).

Ok, I will go with the IFTTT route as well, hopefully at some point they will add it to the homekit api and we will be able to control it locally without any cloud involved

Let me know if you need assistance setting up IFTTTā€¦

IFTTT is working fine, but I just got an issue last week when my tado bridge lost access to internet (not sure why) and of course I wasnĀ“t notified (a notification from the tado app in this situation would also be nice, maybe they will add this feature at some point) so the house ran out of hot water and my family was not really happyā€¦

I contacted Tado and they told me this:

ā€œThe domestic hot water part in HomeKit will be handled by Apple. The data is already being made available from your tadoĀ° app to HomeKit. So as soon as Apple can make that part available in their HomeKit it will be able to control the DHW.ā€

So actually if Tado has published the API for Apple to use it, Home Assistant should already be able to access it and be able to control the hot water, right?

I posted the link above. Home Assistant can control hot water with its Tado component now from version 110. It does it not 100% correctly from my point of view. But it does the job anyway.

@SergeS I was assuming that component was based in cloud (@flyingpenguin did you think this as well?) , but if that is not the case and the node red component can control both thermostats and hot water locally with all the functionality (turn on/off/auto, read thermostat current temperature, etc), that would be amazing, and it would actually remove the dependency of using HomeKit, can you confirm?

Also why do you say it is not 100% correctly? Is there anything not working as you would expect?

Unfortunately I was right and that node red component is web based, so it doesnĀ“t solve the request I (and @flyingpenguin) have, which is being able to control all the Tado components locally, without any dependency on the internet (the main reason is having a heating/hot water system that stops working if Internet/Tado/Cloud/etc fail is not ideal, and itĀ“s what we are trying to avoid)

I understand what you mean. Iā€™m pretty sure that Apple HomeKit does not manage tado devices without internet. Apple uses API to control through tado servers. Are you sure that Apple can control tado independently?

Regarding tado implementation in HA. The problem is with switching off. It canā€™t switch hot water heating off and return it to automatic schedule. I had to do it with separate instructions after some time.
Using Node-Red module, if I switch off heating, the system returns to ā€schedule modeā€

I am not sure how Apple controls the devices, but the trick here is that the devices compatible with Apple HomeKit expose an API that can be accessed locally, and that is exactly what the Home Assistant HomeKit Controller does (you can see more details here: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/homekit_controller/), accessing the API and giving HA access to the device locally, without any internet or cloud involvement.

The trick will be broken in this part: HA through HomeKit Controller tells to Apple Home what to do with Tado device, and Apple through Tado API will tell Tado server what to do with Tado device. And you need internet for that :slight_smile:

Hi @SergeS, I am afraid you are wrong here :innocent:, itĀ“s explained in one of the Troubleshooting questions of the link I sent: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/homekit_controller/#homekit-controller-is-finding-devices-on-my-network-even-though-i-dont-have-any-apple-devices

ā€œUnlike many other commercial IoT offerings, the HomeKit protocol is a local and offline protocol that does not rely on the Apple ecosystem to function. You do not need an Apple online account to use a ā€œWorks with HomeKitā€ device. Some Wi-Fi devices may need an iOS device briefly to get them onto your WiFi, but other than that you do not need any Apple hardware on your network.ā€