Control TiVo box over telnet

Brilliant! Didn’t realise I could do it the other way. I can totally use the service as you have shown. Thanks very much for getting back to me so quickly. Really appreciate that.

Has anyone had the issue where their TiVo shows that it’s on in homeassistant when it’s actually off? It’s only started happening recently.

Hmmm, you’re right. It’s happening for me too. Could be the fix I put in to allow turning on the box when it is off. Or it could be something changed on the box itself.

I’ll have a quick look tonight, although it’ll probably be the weekend before I get a proper chance to work it out.

2 Likes

Thankyou and keep up the great work! Love using this component, especially being able to skip adverts from my phone.

Has anyone else lost the virgin tivo entity since upgrading to 0.92 ?

Apparently so. I haven’t upgraded yet so I don’t know the details but it was raised as an issue on Github. I’ll do an upgrade tonight and see what is going on. Of course I said that about the Tivo showing as on when off problem, but never managed to get around to it. But honest I will at some point!

1 Like

Ok, looks like as of 0.92 all components need a manifest file. Stick this into the custom_components/virgintivo folder:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bertbert72/HomeAssistant_VirginTivo/master/custom_components/virgintivo/manifest.json

1 Like

Brilliant! Fixed everything for me. Thanks for fixing this so quickly.

Cheers I’ll try this as soon as I can
Thanks for getting on to it so quickly

Yes it works
Thanks

Any chance of getting this into the set of components supported by custom-updater?
There are others that are sourced from Github - so I think it should be possible to make it work
See https://custom-components.github.io/custom_updater/How-it-works

Hi BertBert, did you have any luck fixing this? Thanks!
Mat.

Afraid not. I’ve had a few goes but no success. If I get it so that it accurately reflects the state, I find that the on/off no longer works and vice-versa. Coupled with the fact that the family tend to be unhappy with me turning off the box constantly, it’s slow going. The complication is that there isn’t actually an off state, just a state where the box doesn’t respond with anything when checked. But I keep thinking it is bound to be possible to reliably infer the status. I keep thinking I have it and then I find that it doesn’t work in one situation or another. Very annoying :smile:

1 Like

Try this one if you are feeling brave. I’ll have to tidy it up if it works, but I think it should.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bertbert72/HomeAssistant_VirginTivo/fix-off-on/custom_components/virgintivo/media_player.py

Edit:

New version up that seems to work properly in all scenarios. Fingers crossed anyway!

1 Like

Looks straightforward enough. I’ll have a go once I get on/off finally sorted or I give up on it…

Edit:

I’ve added support for the custom_updater stuff

thankyou i think its working correctly again! great work!

any chance of integrating this into the new home assistant community store? HACS

I’ve sent a pull request to get it integrated into the next version of HACS. In the meantime you can add it yourself using bertbert72/HomeAssistant_VirginTivo

1 Like

Bertbert, you mention that it’s possible to use the Tivo remote to control other devices. I would like to change the input source of my TV to the Tivo input anytime the Tivo remote buttons are pressed. Any pointers on how to achieve this greatly appreciated.

Not sure this is going to be exactly what you want. The component has no way of knowing if you’ve pressed a button on the remote. The only thing it can really tell is if the channel has been changed because that’s all the telnet interface on the Tivo tells it.

The way I’ve set it up is that if I use one of the channels I don’t care about (in my case 901, 902, 903) I can press 901 to get it to switch to the Virgin Box, 902 to go to the Tivo and 903 to show the CCTV.

In the example below, the switcher box is set up as “family_room_receiver”. You’d put in say something like ‘media_player.my_tv’ and for sources something like ‘901: HDMI1’.

targets:
        901: media_player.family_room_receiver
        902: media_player.family_room_receiver
        903: media_player.family_room_receiver
      sources:
        901: Virgin V6
        902: Virgin Tivo
        903: CCTV

Let me know if that helps or doesn’t help.