Control your Windows computer with Home Assistant and MQTT

While I am very new to Home Assistant, I’ve been doing a form of Home Automation for just over four years now, continuously developing and releasing new versions of a freeware program for Windows called Push2Run.

Push2Run allows you to control your Windows computer based on various triggers.

On Push2Run’s fourth birthday, I was given a suggestion that being able to trigger processing on MQTT messages would be a great way to integrate with Home Assistant.

To make a long story short, I have now just released an update that provides for exactly that.

I have a bit of a further learning curve to overcome on Home Assistant to see if I can find a way to improve the configuration of Push2Run from Home Assistant (as I see other apps like OctoPrint have done already), as well as to figure out how to do more advanced MQTT processing (the release I just put out only does normal MQTT processing, it doesn’t yet support MQTT via Websockets and or SSL) - but with time I hope to get to some, if not all, of that, assuming there is a demand.

I did my testing on Home Assistant on Hyper-V and have ordered a Home Assistant Yellow kit yesterday - thanks to all who have made Home Assistant and all of that possible.

If you would like to find out more about Push2Run and or get your free copy, you are welcome to visit https://push2run.com

For those of you who are already using Push2Run, and for those of you who may decide to try it out for the first time, I hope this update will be of good use to you!

1 Like

play 99 Red Ballons

Yea, my fav tune.
Will give this program a whirl.

The addition of MQTT to Push2Run is a feature I didn’t know I needed until now. I’ve been using Push2Run for almost three years and it’s crazy to think I’ve been relying on the cloud (using Pushbullet) for all these years. I was recently bugged by Pushbullet to upgrade to “Pro” to continue using it with Push2Run, but thankfully I came across this post. You deserve every dollar of my donation and I can’t commend you enough for this feature addition! :smiley: