Controlling a RF Device (Ceiling Fan) with ESPHome, 304MHz?

I have a TX028C-S remote (FCC ID: A25-TX028).

I would like to be able to control it via ESPHome. I have been reading how others have done similar projects and most seem to be working on 433MHz.

My reading of the FCC report seems to indicate that this remote is working on 304MHz, is that right? If so, does that mean that this is never going to work as I will not find hardware for that band? It seems the Bond Bridge folks got it working.

I recently bought a RTL-SDR to see if I can start listening to the signals but I was just wondering if someone can tell me if I just wasting my time on this remote.

1 Like

My first thought was to see if there are 304mhz transmitter/reciever modules on Ali Express (I use 433mhz ones attached to an esp32 as a diy blaster). But I couldn’t see any.

My thoughts would be:

1. Dig hard to try to find the above.
  2. Get another spare remote and either try to cannibalise it for parts or hook up an esp32 to simulate button presses.
  3. Perhaps you can either teach the codes to or salvage the RF beacon from something like the below.

AU $13.98 25%OFF | KEYYOU Replacement 4 Buttons 304MHz Smart Remote Car Key Fob For Ford Falcon AU FPV XR6 XR8 Series 2 3 99’-02’ AU2 AU3
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOYgzEc

I got my RTL-SDR today and I can indeed confirm that the frequency listed on the FCC website is correct, 304MHz. I think, if I am going to do this project, I will just cannibalise one my remotes to generate the button presses.

1 Like

The RTL-SDR website links to the following videos, Hacking My Ceiling Fan Radio Signal With a $15 USB TV Tuner (RTL2832U) and Abusing Raspberry Pi GPIO pins as a radio transmitter to control my ceiling fan. The irony is that his fan is using 304MHz too.

I have a similar remote and was able to use universal radio hacker with an rtl-sdr to pretty easily decipher an rc switch protocol. I did a little write up here:

If you don’t want to cannabilize a remote, I bet you could easily make a clone remote with a cc1101 module attached to an esp8266 and control it with mqtt or esphome