Controlling New Chromecast with Google TV

I haven’t disabled any OS updates. I’m just using the old cast integration and then everything works for me. Got it a couple of days ago.

UPDATE: I want to revise my answer. At first it appeared to be working, but after using it for a while I must say it isn’t working as good as with my old Chromecast (v2). The new one just switches to playing and then isn’t as good at following changes, such as switching to idle and then playing again when a new episode it queued. The media_position attribute is also no longer available.
So basic stuff works but my advanced automations that I built no longer works.

Thanks for instructions and elsewhere i have automations set up to open certain apps on google tv, but i’m struggling to find out how to close an app with adb. I saw an example script where someone was opening and closing netflix, and for closing it they just had a command like !com.netflix.ninja. However using the exclamation mark doesnt work for me on google tv.

I see this in the developer tools section
adb_response: /system/bin/sh: !com.netflix.ninja: inaccessible or not found

Anyone know of any command that does work with google tv for fully closing an app?

Cheers

edit: to answer my own question, this works

am force-stop com.netflix.ninja

As someone who had the same question as you, would you mind explaining? I think I get the same data and values from either integration, so I’m not sure which one is better to use for my purposes.

I’m sorry, I never tried anything else so I can’t compare. But I think this integration is about controlling the apps on the Chromecast through home assistant.

1 Like