Convert devices built in daily energy usage to total increasing usage

Hi, the thing is I have one device with builtin entity for daily power usage which keeps resetting at midnight. When I added that to energy dashboard the first day was ok, then the second day it went to negative as counter was reset. It broke the chart and it’s generally useless in that form.

Is there a way to create virtual entity which will increase based on the daily usage and then at midnight it will ignore reset and will take fresh day data incrementally? This daily usage is calculated on live, not only at the end of the day.

You can’t add power entities to the energy dashboard.

You have a daily energy sensor, not a daily power sensor. Two different things.

Please show the history graph for your energy sensor zoomed in to when it resets at midnight.

The energy dashboard can easily deal with daily resetting sensors but they must reset at midnight.

Yes, yes, You are right. Just misspeled, but the clue is preserved slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

And todays energy chart:

Maybe this is my mistake, what I did is put that sensor to customize.yaml and added few things like for other energy measures I have:

sensor.XYZ_energy_day:
  device_class: energy
  unit_of_measurement: kWh
  state_class: total

See: Sensor Entity | Home Assistant Developer Docs

Specifically you should be using state_class: total_increasing for periodically resetting sensors.

1 Like

Thanks, changed. Will monitor results.