Convert Node Red to Home Assistant Automation

I have a Node Red automation that checks a gmail account for email from a specific sender with a specific attachment, then extracts the info from the attachment, adds the data to a sheet which HA can then use.

It’s the only Node Red automation I have, and I’ve been reading about people moving to using HA automations.

Is this a good candidate for this moving to HA?

I was thinking of going to fiverr and seeing if I could pay someone to do this for me, but I’d be happy to pay someone here to do this.

Thanks.

What’s the reasoning behind that? I’m curious because I’ve started playing a bit with node red to see if it’s something I want to do since I have so many automations but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

As for your Gmail issue, you should be able to do that I believe with the IMAP integration component, sort of like how the Mail Delivery uses that to check for FedEx/UPS/USPS mail coming today.

1 Like

Here’s a good earlier thread that compared Node Red and native Automations. Personally, I prefer Node Red, but I do think it’s largely a personal preference based on which “feels right” to you.

I am not experienced enough to explain the reasoning well.

My simple understanding is that utilizing built-in features, all else being equal, is generally preferred for simplicity and reliability reasons.

My reasons for considering this is because I don’t know node-red and my time available to learn is limited, so I thought I’d focus on learning the built-in automation facilities.

The node red solution I have is not reliable.

Can someone help me automate this within HA?

An email with an Excel spreadsheet is emailed to me daily with propane tank levels and usage. I need to get that into HA.