Convert to MQTT

Hi Community,

So now that I’m rocking with mosquito, I’m somewhat confused how to “convert” my existing sensors/etc to be stored in MQTT? I recently installed Node-Red (very cool btw) and would like to store my data from HA into MQTT and then pull it into Node-Red.

Is doable? I’ve been crawling help pages and it’s not obvious to me. I know I can have switches/etc but how would I go about converting my existing sensors/etc to be stored in MQTT?

For what purpose? You don’t ‘store’ any data in MQTT.

Why not use node-red-contrib-home-assistant (node) - Node-RED?

Sure, but it seems like a lot of work for not a lot of reward. What do you want to convert and why?

MQTT is not a database, you don’t store anything. It is just a message queue. Nothing more.

Thanks for responding. yes, I’m aware of what MQTT does but I figured I’d read the data into Node-Red via MQTT subscriptions. I am using that palette (is that the right term?) in Node-Red but I’m really liking MQTT and figured I’d dump data into it and then read from Node-Red. I also use Zanzito so it’d be nice to read that data remotely as well.

I love MQTT, but what you essentially want to do is recreate everything you already have in MQTT for just the simple reason of using it?

Just use a combination of Home Assistant nodes and MQTT where it makes sense. You don’t need to be one way or the other. I use both heavily.

Any ‘software switch’ I want to make, instead of an input_boolean, I make an MQTT switch, but I want my lights to be left alone.

You can take every state change in Home Assistant nodes and publish them on MQTT, but again, it’s a lot of work for no real reward. You already have the data coming from Home Assistant.

1 Like

Thanks - overthinking the scenario is what I am apparently doing. Appreciate the steering on this. Just seemed like the “right thing” to do at the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

If there is a particular thing you want to convert over for use elsewhere, you could always do this:

Honestly, don’t try to shoehorn all your Home Assistant into MQTT, just use it where feasible. The home assistant nodes are REALLY good at what they do.

1 Like

BTW, if there is anything you need help with, I would be glad to lend a hand where I can.

You may regret that offer :slight_smile: Seriously though, really appreciate the clarity.

1 Like