Converting a date/time from HA in readable format in ESPhome

I would like to limit the amount of sensors in ESPHome. Therefore I created a sensor in HA that gives as a event0start for example 2022-09-14 17:30:00+02:00
In ESPHome I setup a Home Assistant text-sensor like this:

- platform: homeassistant
    id: event0start
    entity_id: sensor.calendaritems
    attribute: event0start

Now I am trying to convert this sensor into a more readable format in ESPHome for my epaper screen. I’ve tried this:

it.strftime(436, 223, id(tm20), "%H:%M", id(event0start).state);

It doesn’t want to compile with the error:

error: no matching function for call to 'esphome::display::DisplayBuffer::strftime(int, int, esphome::display::Font*&, const char [6], std::__cxx11::string&)'
                                                                ^

I have also tried to import the HA sensor just a sensor (not a text sensor) and then the error is:

error: no matching function for call to 'esphome::display::DisplayBuffer::strftime(int, int, esphome::display::Font*&, const char [6], float&)'
                                                                ^

I know I can do the formatting at HA’s side, but then I would have to create seperate sensors for the time and the year. And with an end time and day and several agenda-items this starts to add up.
I know how to convert the time(homeassistant).now() into the correct format, but how to replace time(homeassistant) with a state of one of the sensors, I cannot find anywhere.

If anyone can help.