Converting a MAX! Cube to CUL/CUN to use with Home Assistant

Hi,

Yes the guide should still be working, but as per earlier I’d suggest the following change:
Skip the step for configuring the homematic component of HomeAssistant and instead use MQTT as per @quasar66 excellent suggestion here; Converting a MAX! Cube to CUL/CUN to use with Home Assistant

All you should need to do is enable the MQTT options within Homegear, which are documented on their website.
If i find some time i’ll update the OP to include all steps for MQTT.

1 Like

You always need the Homegear addon. You can connect it via MQTT or via the Homematic component to Home Assistant.

1 Like

Hi, I did this, but I do not have thermostats but just the thermostatic valves: not sure we are talking about the same object (a thermostat is for me thge device that turns on and off the heater, the thrmostatic valve is the valve attached to the radiator that regulates the amount of water flowing in the radiator).

You know the mqtt commands to change values to the radiators?

https://www.eq-3.com/products/max/max-house-solution/max-radiator-thermostat.html

if using MQTT as per above suggestions, will the programming still be stored in the thermostatic valves?

Ohh I see I need to add a user, but how to add it in HASSIO?

Only need that for using homematic - you shouldn’t need this if using the MQTT approach.

In answer to your other questions, yes using the HomeMatic Manager to store the timetables to the thermostats will work fine with MQTT (they are stored on the actual valve) - assuming you run in ‘Auto’ mode.

And yes, the MQTT post I linked works fine with the radiator valves themselves (ie. if you don’t use a wall thermostat) - it can set the target temperature and change mode etc… of the radiator valve.

I see, great, one additional step solved.

Now the missing part is which are the correct topic for changing things. For each VALVE I should do something like the below code, but which are the topics for my 11 valves …? Basically how do I link a vbalve to a topic … sorry I am … confused :smiley:

- platform: mqtt
   name: Office Thermostat
   retain: false
   send_it_off: true
   current_temperature_topic: service/homegear/8347/plain/1/1/ACTUAL_TEMPERATURE
   temperature_state_topic: service/homegear/8347/plain/1/1/SET_TEMPERATURE
   temperature_command_topic: service/homegear/8347/set/1/1/SET_TEMPERATURE
   min_temp: 10
   max_temp: 30
   temp_step: 0.5
   modes: ["auto","manual","party","boost"]
   mode_state_topic: service/homegear/8347/plain/1/1/CONTROL_MODE
   mode_state_template:  >-
      {% set values = { '0':'auto', '1':'manual', '3':'boost'} %}
      {{ values[value] if value in values.keys() else 'off' }}

I found this, but is soooo , to me, complicated. I just want to know the command/topic to read the current temperature of a specific valve and the command/topic to set a temperature value to a specific valve.

Any clue? Thanks

https://doc.homegear.eu/data/homegear/communication_protocols.html

So as an example, if you have the following settings in the mqtt.conf for homegear:-

prefix=homegear
homegearID=climate
plainTopic=true
enabled=true

(and obviously set your broker details)

Your MQTT entry for homeassistant would look something like:-

name: Landing Radiator
   retain: false
   send_it_off: true
   current_temperature_topic: homegear/climate/plain/4/1/ACTUAL_TEMPERATURE
   temperature_state_topic: homegear/climate/plain/4/1/SET_TEMPERATURE
   temperature_command_topic: homegear/climate/set/4/1/SET_TEMPERATURE
   min_temp: 14
   max_temp: 30
   temp_step: 0.5
  modes: ["auto","manual","party","boost"]
   mode_state_topic: homegear/climate/plain/4/1/CONTROL_MODE
   mode_state_template:  >-
  {% set values = { '0':'auto', '1':'manual', '3':'boost'} %}
  {{ values[value] if value in values.keys() else 'off' }}

Where ‘4’ in the topic is the peer (think device) id (view this in the homegear cli) and ‘1’ is the channel.
You’ll basically want to have multiple copies of the above, but simply change ‘4’ in the topic and the name to the relevant device.

Thanks a lot for your help. Is very clear all.

One last thing, I hope (!), how /where to check the peer ID for each device.

Running HASSIO I don’t have access to the homegear cli, or I have?

Nevertheless I can try randomly: I guess having 11 thermostatic valves they are numbered from 1,2,3 to 11?

Sorry but trying to solve all the possible issues before installing all, and since the flashing is irreversible I want to make sure I have it all streighten up. Now it’s winter with 0 degrees, not a good time for experimenting with heating :smile:

If you can’t get to the cli, you can also view it on the web page at http://<homegear_ip>:2001
There is a table at the bottom of the page which shows all paired devices and the device ID.

For accessing the GUI will need to solve the problem of the user. (Converting a MAX! Cube to CUL/CUN to use with Home Assistant)

I am kind of stuck
Nobody did this installation with HASSIO?

If not I guess will need to make a fresh Hassbian install so to have access to the cli, and hope the settings (peer I’d) be the same in the two install (hassio and hassbian)

Does this work with window sensors from max?

I don’t have any personally, but it looks like there are some window sensors supported by homegear - if you have those models, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

https://ref.homegear.eu/family.html?familyLink=max!&familyName=MAX!

Thanks for this link.
I will try to flash my max cube at sunday.

The default max software is very bad and not working good with my ha…

BIG THANKS MAN! This is so awsome. Works like charm!!

1 Like

Hello all,

i want to use mqtt with my radiators.
But climate component is not working.

Log Says:

01/16/19 09:47:17.200 RPC Server (Port 2001): Info: Connection from ::ffff:192.168.60.144:51646 accepted. Client number: 77
01/16/19 09:47:17.201 RPC Server (Port 2001): Info: RPC server client id for client number 77 is: 37
01/16/19 09:47:17.203 RPC Server (Port 2001): Info: Client number 77 is calling RPC method: ping (1) Parameters:
(String) hmm
01/16/19 09:47:17.203 MQTT Client Info: Publishing topic   homegear/climate/json/0/-1/PONG
01/16/19 09:47:17.204 MQTT Client Info: Publishing topic   homegear/climate/plain/0/-1/PONG
01/16/19 09:47:17.204 MQTT Client Info: Publishing topic   homegear/climate/jsonobj/0/-1
01/16/19 09:47:20.520 MAX packet received (Max-CUNX, RSSI: 0x50): 0900060400000000000D

Mqtt.conf:

enabled = true
brokerHostname = 192.168.60.4
brokerPort = 1883
prefix=homegear
homegearID=climate
plainTopic=true
enabled=true

Screenshot of HA climate:

2019-01-16%2009_55_51-Window

Any ideas ?
Thanks!

EDIT: My MQTT broker show:

homegear/climate/plain/3/0/LOWBAT false
homegear/climate/plain/3/1/STATE false
homegear/climate/plain/4/1/STATE false
homegear/climate/plain/0/-1/PONG "hmm"

Ok, works now.
But my window sensors not working over mqtt.

binary_sensor:
    name: Fensterkontakt_Bad
    state_topic: homegear/climate/plain/5/1/STATE
    payload_on: true
    payload_off: false
    device_class: window

Can not get updates in HA, but my MQTT broker shows changes from my windows.

Got it:

name: win_wohn
    state_topic: homegear/climate/plain/3/1/STATE
    payload_on: "true"
    payload_off: "false"
    device_class: window

Hi everyone,

I managed to flash my max!Cube and to get it working with Homegear and Homematic Manager. MQTT is working great. Everything is much more responsive than previous firmware.
Thanks for this great how-to and for everyone’s help.

A few tips :

• I had to reboot my computer after installing SAM-BA software. Otherwise I got an error message when connecting to COM port.
  • MQTT Explorer is great to troubleshoot MQTT messages and get the exact topic for all thermostat :
    https://github.com/thomasnordquist/MQTT-Explorer
    I can see that there is the valve percentage is MQTT message, which is great :slight_smile:

For the moment I am unable to store a temperature scheduling on my thermostat. As said earlier, I right click on a Thermostat > MASTER Paramset. I fill in needed values and then I hit “Parameter übernehmen und schielßen
It seams to send the parameters to the thermostat, but I have the wrong temperature in auto mode.
Am I missing something ? Does anybody use this feature ?
What is the purpose of the parameter “Bitte einen oder mehrere Kanäle awswählen” in the thermostat paramset ?

I don’t speak german at all, so thanks in advance for your help.

Edit : OK I figured out my mistake :
Each endtime is actualy the number of minutes since 0:00. I tought it was the duration of each time interval.
It is working now :slight_smile:

1 Like