Converting dumb UK power sockets to Smart. anybody had any success with this?

I’m curious if anybody has had much success in converting their dumb UK power sockets to smart ones, maybe using a Sonoff, or shelly type of device?

I’ve been looking around online and didn’t find much around this topic for UK. I’m considering upgrading all of my sockets, but have not found any I am overly happy with which got me thinking about converting dumb sockets to smart capable. I got a lightwave kit which I liked, however they are expensive and currently require an internet connection to use as it now uses their cloud based API.

If anybody has done this successfully, are there any tips or advice that could be shared from your experiences?

BG make a smart socket I think it was about £10 during prime day and around £15 normally.

1 Like

Aurora Aone do some Zigbee ones but they aren’t cheap:

1 Like

Cheers for sharing… these look like they have a dependency on an internet connection to operate based on the comments on Amazon. Do you know if that’s correct?

those look interesting. although weird size! thanks for the share.

Hi, I’ve got a couple of these running with Tuyalocal so theoretically Internet free although I’ve not got round to blocking their Internet access to be fully free. Note of warning though, when you buy them please make sure you get the ones with the earth connector between the two sides or fit the link yourself out of earth wire otherwise it messes up your house earthing. It’s nuts that they are being sold without this (even branded ones) as to me its unsafe (I’ve raised with TS who are investigating).

I’ve now replaced all these with Broadlink BG smart sockets. They work with HA, are the correct size and are much better built. Search for ‘Screwfix’ on here if you’re interested. I paid £15 from Screwfix’ and Amazon, they are regularly on offer.

I ended up going with the BG smart sockets as well. I’m still refurbing the property, but looking to install them fully in the next couple of weeks. I’ve been testing a few since raising the initial forum post and have mostly been happy with them via HA. I find now and then they fail to get a commend, and I think this directly relates to the signal strength of the WiFi, so I’ve deployed more AP’s around the property and since then they have been pretty stable.

Do you find that periodically, although working the two switch lights will flash both red two or three times and then back to their prior state? I notice mine do it quite a bit and haven’t spent any time figuring out why yet

No, not noticed that but they are in places I don’t regularly look at. I do have one socket that does go offline in HA every now and again but only for a minute or so.

Could you please share how you managed to integrate the sockets into HA. When I attempt the Broadlink integration I get a message that the socket is locked.

Have a look here, there’s instructions to get them working:

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply, worked a charm.

If ibwas refurbing I would install essential and non essential circuits I.e. wiring for fridges etc and then use non essential that could be switched via a smart switch and contactor via app so that all non essential power is switched off when leaving the house or over night
Not sure now why houses are wired in ring circuits that cannot be controlled for easier energy conservation

I’m in the process of switching my BG sockets to AOne Zigbee sockets as they have power monitoring built in. This is the cheapest place I have found them:

https://www.smart-secure.co.uk/product/aone-zigbee-twin-switched-socket/

EDIT: Keep an eye out on ebay, I bought 10 for £100 a little while back