UK WIFI Smart Socket - Screwfix - Testing

They do change state but not instantly.

Great, mine have been working very well so worth the effort of setting them up like this.

For anyone with the BG Electrical AHC/U-01 (0x51E2) product this post sorted everything for me until the PR is merged

This works perfectly up until step 6. However, in the Broadlink App when I select the device previously setup by BG Home App I get this screen:

Adding device is failed

The device is connected to the network, but the current account location does not match the user area supported by the device, so the device cannot be added to the account…

I am in the UK, does this only work if I set my location to Europe or USA? This is a UK BG Smart model from Screwfix. Just puzzled as to why the steps working for others are failing in the Broadlink app.

I just did this today. Took a few attempts

I added it in the bghome app, stopped at the add to a room prompt (step 5) but left the app open and then looked at my router for the IP address and used that to add a broadlink integration in HA. Didn’t use the broadlink app at all.

I repeated this twice for the 2 sockets I have.

I’m also in UK

1 Like

Based upon the ethos of these steps the following worked successfully for me in the UK:

1. I left all my ten 900 series smart sockets intact and registered on the BG App.
  2. Download Broadlink iOS app.
  3. Put first socket into AP Config Mode. (Hold both buttons down until you hear the relay click then release. They should be flashing red/blue)
  4. Using Broadlink then ‘add device’
  5. Broadlink find device.
  6. Setup device with name for device and both sockets.
  7. Once device registered select the device in Broadlink then click the 3 dots in the top RH of the screen.
  8. Select ‘Attribute’
  9. Scroll to the base of the screen and uncheck ‘Lock device’.
  10. Select ‘Device Info’ and note the IP Address of the device.
  11. Head to HA and add the Broadlink integration. Add the first IP address and check it registers.
  12. Repeat steps 3 to 11 for each socket. Note on step 11 you need to add a new integration each time but these subsequent additions appear on the single Broadlink integration.

I’ve done this successfully for 3 of my sockets so far. I can now use interact with them from BG, Broadlink or HA. Hope this helps… Thanks @540YMX for the golden nuggets to get this working!! :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

Hi @craigmdennis. I realised on my side that when my router restarts the socket becomes unavailable.
I can make it work from the app, however the only way to get it back on HA is to remove the Broadlink integration and restart the integration.
I’m wondering if you have faced the same issue and if you have a recommendation to overcome this one?

I had to assign a static IP in my router for each switch so that the router assigned the same address each time a switch disconnected. Since I did that I haven’t had any disconnections or ‘unavailable’ (touch wood).

You can find the IP of each socket in the app under ‘socket name’ → attribute → Device info.

Thanks Craig!

Silly question… what’s the full name of the “Broadlink” app on the Android play store? there are many variations so I got a bit lost…

Had mine working fine today, rebooted HA server and then my sockets don’t work as they are reporting as locked, so need to use the refined steps shared in this thread to unlock.

This is the one I used: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cn.com.broadlink.econtrol.international

Thank you…

I’m just gonna ditch the BG app all together, just use this one. that does the trick! Thanks

Has anybody else noticed odd behaviour with their BG smart sockets?

I’ve got a few lamps plugged into ours, and every now and then, they will randomly switch on for a split second then off, which makes the lamp flash. Checking the home assistant log, it wasn’t triggered. so it’s happening outside of hassio.

one observation I did notice, is that I blocked internet access for all my smart devices. the issue seems to happen after I start up the devices (mains ring power off, to on), and the socket has not been able to check in online. In that scnenario, the socket seems to flick off/on every 10 minutes or so. it’s happening with all the sockets I have. I gave them net access as a test, and they have not done it once since…

I am wondering if they added something crappy to the firmware to make it do this, so you HAVE to let them have net access (a requirement I despise).

has anybody else noted similar oddites?

I can’t say I’ve noticed this. Our internet was totally out for 2 days a few weeks ago and nothing untoward happened with on/off behaviour but then I didn’t also switch off/on the circuit.

It appears to only happen if the power to the ring is off, then you turn it on and the devices start up from powered off. If they can’t get online , they all randomly flick on/off until such time they managed to check in with something.

Once they checked in at least once… things just work.

Came across this thread after bumbling into them on Screwfix looking for something else.

Reading through the thread they seem to work pretty well with HA now? Just need an integration per socket?

Just fitted some of these sockets and it seems that Broadlink has removed the option to unlock the sockets from the App. So, what you need to do to get them to work with the Broadlink Integration is to remove the sockets, if you have already added them in the Broadlink app. Put the socket into pairing mode by pressing the left button for 5 seconds until it starts flashing red. Use the app to scan for the sockets. Once it asks you for the Wifi access point and password, enter that, but don’t go any further! Now you can use the Broadlink integration in Home Assistant, enter the IP address of the sockets (you may need to login to your router to find the IP) and your socket will be added as a new entity.

In your router, give your sockets a static IP address, so that if the power goes out or your router is turned off, your sockets will always have the same IP. If the IP changes, they will show as unavailable in HA.

3 Likes

I’m stuck! Followed the instructions, but on the Broadlink app I have no option for ‘find device’ under ‘add device’. The closest is General WiFi device but that asks to connect to a different AP (the devices WiFi). Any ideas folks?

You have to do the following:

1. get the mac address of the device and reserve an IP in your router
  2. delete the device from the BG Home App
  3. Put the wall socket in to AP config mode - short pulse mode
  4. connect to the socket SSID
  5. get the broadlink app open in Home Assistant and provision it with IP - do not hit enter
  6. provision your SSID and PSK in the BG Home app and hit next
  7. hit enter on the broadlink integration in HA

thats it your done

Please note - if you reboot HA you will have to go through this process again as there is no persistance it would appear

Hi thanks for reply - but it kept going offline as well, and was unable to do a firmware update. I got a replacement, and that one did exactly the same - looking online as well they do seem to be very unreliable.

However I’ve now found Zigbee smart sockets, a little bit more expensive but hopefully they work…

https://www.click4electrics.co.uk/click-smart-home-accessories-c-957_1117/click-smart-13a-2-gang-zigbee-smart-switched-socket-outlet-p-10502