Converting I/O Boxes for use with HA

Hi all, I have just recently come over to Home Assistant from Home Seer , Most hardware I was able to bring into HA with out much trouble.
I have 3x custom made I/O interfaces that connected to the network via ethernet. and these Interfaces support pins can be assigned as Input, Analogue input, Output, PWM, Servo, or Onewire.

These I/O interfaces run off a Arduino Mega that has code on it provided by the Arduino plugin in HS4.

So now I need help with how to convert these to they will talk to HA

I want to retain Digital out for the relays
and One Wire DS18S20 for temp sensors
and RGB device can be created from 3 PWM outputs
and Digital Inputs for hardwired sensors

Still want to connect via Ethernet

I presume the best thing to do is to swap out the microcontroller to and esp based one?

Not sure where to start with this, I’m not much of a coder and have limited understanding of coding.
So writing a new script for the Arduino mega will be difficult for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think swapping it out to an ESP device could be a perfect first ESPHome project. They make ESP boards with Ethernet if that’s a want/need.

You could code ESPhome onto one of these very easily. I use them for a couple of things.

ESPhome is very user friendly in my opinion, and the docs are well laid out.

Thanks for your advise, Can you recommend a ESP device model that will work?
I would need worst case 16 Outputs , 25 inputs, 5 pwm outputs, 2 one wire inputs. So there would need to be enough pins to cover these.

The board that @sparkydave lists looks like it could be a good fit (I’ve never used a board with Ethernet, so can’t give any personal recommendations.

As far as getting enough pins. An ESP32 isn’t going to have that many pins natively, but there’s plenty of ways to add components that would allow you to expand the number of pins pretty to much to whatever you need. Do some Google searches for expanding the number of pins with ESPHome and I’m sure you’ll find lots of options that are compatible.

I found these online.

https://kinconycontroller.aliexpress.com/

A8 Board.PNG

I’m presuming anything that has an ESP32 and ethernet port on it will be able to be flashed with ESPhome software?

Yes, those can be used. I linked to them a while back in another thread. The manufacturer even provides ESPhome code for them. They have a number of different I/O configurations (relays, inputs only, etc.)