Core 2021.3.0 hue lights gone?

Just updated from core-2021.2.3 to core-2021.3.0 and everything went well, except my Hue lights all vanished. Integration said everything was working, but the entities themselves showed as “not available”.

Just restored my snapshot back to core-2021.2.3 as that is stable for me.

Anyone else seen this with the latest core update? I saw nothing about Hue in the changes for the latest version.

1 Like

Have the lights disappeared or just the scenes?

HA was saying “entitity not available” for any “light.hue” entity.

So both scenes and individual lights were missing.

Did you reboot the machine after the update to confirm? If still not working, did you take some logs and post an issue to Github?

Yes, I did a reboot. I also installed/reverted snapshot twice.

Haven’t had time yet to look at Splunk and check the logs. When I know more I will update.

But from the looks of it, any hue-tied entity just ceases to exist.

Same here.

The problem is that the “collection” of light groups disappeared.
Individual lights and rooms are still available.

what i mean is like this:
I have each room with its lights in Lovelace and they are ok.
But there is a card that contain the names of the rooms and the entities are the rooms NOT the lights.
please see the screenshot

Here is the issue, the card that contains the rooms is displaying the error that the entity is not available.

still in Lovelace:

[OK] Livingroom:

• Light 1
  • Light 2

[OK] Bedroom:

• Light 1
  • Light 2

[Not OK] Lights:

• Livingroom Lights
  • Bedroom Lights

Hope the explanation is ok :slight_smile:

Best regards
Bogdan

Did you read the release notes and the breaking changes for Hue groups?

1 Like

I’ve read the blog news, but i did not read the breaking changes.
I’ll take a look right now and see.

Thanks and best regards
Bogdan

EDIT:

Thanks @m0wlheld, this is easy to fix

The solution is provided in the “Breaking changes – Hue” section:

Hue

Hue groups are now disabled by default because they do not have a unique ID. Existing configurations that have previously saved Hue options are not affected.

To enable Hue groups:

• Browse to your Home Assistant instance
  • In the sidebar click on Configuration
  • From the configuration menu select Integrations
  • Find the entry for the Hue Bridge
  • Select Options and change the setting

(@bdraco - #47067) (hue docs)

3 Likes

Yes, groups of lights need to be enabled.

hue možnosti

hue skupiny

2 Likes

I’m also affected by this, however, I do not have the option to re-enable under the Hue integration. I have updated to latest core and OS, and power cycled the unit several times. Running 5.12 OS and core-2021.3.0.
Hue light groups have worked great for me, but is it then recommended to use the HA light group functionality? As far as I can recollect it was a bit limited in functionality.

When you go to Configuration —> Integrations

On the main page with all your panes for the integrations, you should see Hue, and “Options”.

Under options is a checkbox for “allow hue groups”

I missed this in the release notes.

I did try that and it wasn’t there. However when I tried the same thing again 12 hours later, the option had appeared. All is well now, but if someone can weigh in on the technical reasons as to not use this option I’d be happy to hear it. For me, treating many lights as one entity through Hue has worked great.

This really should have been mentioned more prominently in the blog post. I guess at least 50% of all HASS users have Hue-devices in their setup.

In a grand irony, the ability to filter and remove Hue Groups is something I needed a long time ago. However, I added Hue to HA about 2 years ago, and forgot all about the groups, hence my confusion at this latest change.

Overall, a good change.