Core update hangs

I am trying to update my HA core to 2022.9.1 but after clicking the button to update it just keeps saying installing with the spinning blue circle. I’ve been letting it run now for several hours and it never completes. Any suggestions are welcome.

Jeff

Try it via the commandline

ha core update

Typed the command and got
Processing… Done.
Command completed successfully.

Unfortunately the update in the settings in the UI still shows updating with the spinning blue circle.

I also tried to restart HA but nothing happens and the supervisor log says “Can’t execute restart while a task is in progress”

Any other ideas?

At that stage I would check logs, and if no clues there, reboot.

All fixed. I shut down the VirtualBox HA machine and updated to the latest VB. Then restarted the HA VB machine and performed the CLI update of core. Everything is working fine now. Thanks for the responses
Jeff

1 Like

Had exactly the same issue. Updating VirtualBox and updating HA from the CLI solved my issue as well👍

I have exactly the same endless spinning update. What fixes it for me each time is to simply delete the file with no extension from my .assistant folder in ‘users’. Weird glitch we’re all having. I found that fix in a youtube video. Update: this happens now every time I add an add-on/update and add/on #pesky

So I had an issue with my HA and decided to reinstall a backup. But clicked the wrong date. I know stupid mistake. So now I am trying to update from 2024.2.5 to 2024.8.3. The issue is that all it does is crash my Virtualbox VM. HA GUI still show Home Assistant Core Update installing but VM shows unresponsive. This is the exact same issue that caused me to try to load the backup. My VM exits are running a 111K.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.