Costco Feit Smart Dimmer Tuya Convert Tasmota

Yes i did, unplugged it overnight. Also when i plug it back into power, the led (circle light) blinked for a while. dont know if that has anything to do with it.

I flashed one to Tasmota 8.1.0.2 and got it in the no heartbeat state. It eventually started working after several power cycles and leaving it unplugged for a while (two times).

Can you take a picture of your module gpio pin mapping?

This what you are looking for?

A few notes to add from my tinkering:

1. I saw the same issue with tasmota that @Jingleheimer mentioned about the dimmer not updating with every physical push. It was exactly as he described for me. On->On, Off->On, On->On, Off->Off.

2. I switched to esphome and with logging turned off, I donā€™t have any issues at all. If logging is set to verbose, I occasionally see the checksum errors that @backcountrymountains mentioned. Sometimes it resulted in a few seconds where my HA commands were ignored. Physical pushes seemed to be unaffected.

3. I want to wire up a three-way configuration, so I tested it out with the switched flashed to esphome. Since my two configs are otherwise identical, Iā€™m guessing it will be the same result with tasmota. I can test it out when I actually wire another one up. Anyway, the good news is it worked exactly as it is supposed to. If I put a dumb switch for the second device, the dimmer toggled the power as expected and those changes were reflected in HA.

4. I also took a brand new Feit dimmer (e.g. still running stock firmware and not associated to an app yet) and wired it up in a three-way configuration as the second device. That also worked perfectly. It synced the power/dimmer settings with the esphome dimmer perfectly. Changing settings on either device or HA all worked perfectly. As an aside, this might be a good use for any dimmers that get bricked on a firmware update. :slight_smile:

@mxr662 Yes it is. Thank you.

@primo Can you share your esphome config for the dimmer? I have already spend 3+ hrs with tasmota on this. Iā€™ll try your config to see if it will work. Bad new is i have to learn how to use esphome.

@sumasage Nothing to add to the configs that @backcountrymountains and @Jingleheimer posted above. Mine is identical. The only change I have is I upped to log level INFO right now to test it out.

I am having some trouble flashing the esphome bin file in tasmota. I am following this guide - https://esphome.io/guides/migrate_sonoff_tasmota.html#uploading-the-binary

When i upload the esphome bin file in tasmota firmware update it said ā€œupload failed, not compatibleā€.

How are you guys switching between the two firmware?

EDIT: SOLUTION FOUND - i had to downgrade to tasmota 7.2.0 first then upload the esphome firmware.

You nailed it exactly. You need to go to 7.2 and then you can do it. I would add that I have not successfully gone from ESPHome to Tasmota, but I havenā€™t looked into what went wrong.

Even esphome doesnā€™t work for me :frowning: I give up.

What is happening for you, @sumasage?

@sumasage can you share how you created the esphome binary that you are trying to upload? I need to move off of Tasmota because the state is not consistently updated. Share your procedure and I will follow it and try to move a dimmer from Tasmota to esphome.

I created a node in esphome (via HA of course) with the follow config (i pretty much copied the code from posts above and edit it):

esphome:
  name: test4387
  platform: ESP8266
  board: esp01_1m

wifi:
  ssid: "xxxxxx"
  password: "xxxxxxx"

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "test4387 fallback wifi"
    password: "xxxxxxx"

captive_portal:

# Make sure logging is not using the serial port
logger:
  baud_rate: 0
  level: NONE

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

# My dimmer used the hardware serial port on the alternate pins
uart:
  rx_pin: GPIO3
  tx_pin: GPIO1
  baud_rate: 9600

# Register the Tuya MCU connection
tuya:

# Make the light
light:
  - platform: "tuya"
    name: "test4387"
    dimmer_datapoint: 2
    switch_datapoint: 1
    min_value: 10
    max_value: 1000

Once compiled i download the .bin binary and flash it in tasmota. Do a firmware update in tasmota and load the esphome bin file instead of tasmota firmware. Make sure you are using Tasmota version 7.2 otherwise the flash will fail.

I just want to note that my testing is on a switch that is not installed into the wall. I just powered the switch via power strip.

I do have one of the switch installed into the wall but it is not working now (this switch is running Tasmota). Something went wrong with it that i dont even see it connected to the wifi, and the tasmota wifi manager doesnt come up at all. It is late now so i cant trouble shoot it. Will let you guys know if i found out anything.

Here is a video to the installed switch with tasmota freaking out https://youtu.be/N9UiViW2Bm0

I am not sure what is going on but that buzzing is not good.

I would unhook that switch asap.

I do not have hass.io so I cannot create the esphome binary that way. It will be this way.

That looks like a defective switch to me. The LEDā€™s on the switch are all driven off of the secondary MCU, so the way they are blinking isnā€™t something that would even be affected by the custom firmware in all likelihood. Iā€™d agree with @mxr662, get that switch out of your wall ASAP.

I bought a pair of these at Costco last weekend. Flash process worked like a charm. Looks like the current inventory has not been patched. Thank you all!

Noob on flashing. I am a bit lost on the difference between using tasmota vs ESPhome. Does that just meant the integration you are using on home assistant? You create the binary via the integration and then flash it with tasmota firmware updater?

And it appears the recommended integration with the Feit dimmers is ESPHome?

Tasmota and ESPHome are essentially just two alternative types of firmware. Both will work with this device, and both allow for fully local control. Itā€™s mostly a matter of personal preference, though for this particular device, Iā€™d agree that it seems like people have had more success with ESPHome.

1 Like

First you have to run Tuya Convert on these. Tuya Convert gives you the option to flash Tasmota or ESPurna. Other binaries can be flashed with Tuya, but you have to add them. I Flashed Tasmota and plan to move on to ESPhome. For ESPhome you have to create a binary with your config. Then flash that binary to the dimmer. Hass.io has some tools to help with that process, but I am not running Hass.io.
Look at the links in the second post in this thread, this will get you going.
Andy