Costco Feit Smart Dimmer Tuya Convert Tasmota

I’m sorry - I’m new to HA and still a little confused.

So I should flash to Tasmota 7.2.0 and then create an ESPHome .bin from the config and reflash? Or do I just flash directly to ESPurna? And if I’ve created an ESPHome .bin from Hass.io’s ESPHome add-on do I use OTA flashing to flash the dimmer?

Thanks!
-Adrian

1 Like

I have one converted and upgraded to Tasmota 8.x . There is strangeness with the MCU communicating with the TYWE2S where not all information is received. This results in erratic function. The other unit is running esphome with no issues. Just my 2 cents.

Since Tasmota was already bundled with Tuya-Convert, my preferred method has just been to flash Tasmota, compile my ESPHome binary, and then flash that OTA using Tasmota’s interface.

Also, just to make sure there isn’t any confusion, ESPHome and ESPurna are not the same.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s exactly what I needed to know. Much appreciated!

-Adrian

1 Like

@AdrianSmith gave this a try today, seem pretty straight forward.

Hello all! I’ve tried several times to flash OTA these Cosco feit electric dimmer switches and no luck! Power cycling many times. I’ve even reflashed sdcard and reinstalled everything like the tuya convert tutorial shows. I keep getting " Device did not appear with the intermediate firmware check the *.log files in the scripts folder"

Did you have another device connected to the Tuya Convert WiFi?

@Jeff_Lund Completely new here, but I flashed one of these dimmer switches today following digiblurDIY’s youtube video, and the issue I ran into was my WiFi was disabled by rfkill by default. You know if this is the case when you first login with the Raspberry Pi (message about this is displayed under “SSH” paragraph). Had to enter the following command and then reboot my PI to get the flash to work:

sudo rfkill unblock 0

After that, flash worked just fine for this switch and the Feit RGB bulb that Costco sells. Don’t know if that’s your issue or not, but if it is I hope this helps!

@mxr662 After flashing this switch with Tuya-Convert v2.4.3 and installing the preloaded Tasmota 8.1.0.2 firmware, my switch doesn’t register physically turning it “off” with every other push. It does in fact physically turn off, but shows still “on” in Tasmota Console and Hass. Works fine turning it on/off via Tasmota and Hass software toggle. I followed your instructions above, but I’m sure I just missed something… any ideas? Thanks.
EDIT: don’t know how I missed the looooong spill about that being a known issue… :no_mouth: Guess I need to look into moving over to ESPhome…

@Technowizard ! That is exactly the error I spotted in the wifi log!!! I didn’t know what to do about it! I will try again in a few!! Thank you so much!!

@sumasage
Found this in another post here:
https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/blob/1e0550e750e259899b81c44aa3d628b1058053aa/tasmota/settings.h#L94
It looks like running “setoption78 1” disables the OTA compatibility check, which allowed the users in question to upload ESPhome over their Tasmota firmware.

1 Like

@Technowizard, completely “newer” here, I have not even flashed a single device yet. Still trying to understand the process / details and identify the most current / valid method to flash my Costco Feit Dimmers and Bulbs. I think that I watched the same video from digiblurDIY; Tuya Convert 2.3 Flash Tuya Smartlife Devices | No Soldering! | Remove the cloud | Custom Firmware Jan 6, 2020.

I still don’t understand why EspHome is needed, but I am still researching and learning. (If anyone can comment on this, it would be much appreciated.)

In reading through here, I was trying to see if anyone else has come across the status issue and found the following link that talks about an issue with these specific dimmers; Tuya checksum errors when two commands are sent before the first response is received #986. Not sure if this will help, but I figured that I would share in the hopes that it does!

@Jeff_Lund You’re welcome man. That issue was driving me nuts too since I couldn’t originally figure out why the LED light on my Wemos D1 mini would never turn solid after entering the ./start_flash.sh command. Finally noticed that WiFi rfkill startup notice, and did some googling to find that solution.

Yep same video, plus Andy’s post here. Don’t know what the deal is with the Tasmota physical button press issue. As @Jingleheimer and @primo pointed out, the issue is the first physical “Off” button press after turning it “On” that doesn’t register (be it Hass seeing it or even the switch’s own browser console log); however, if you push the button “On” and then again for “Off” (regardless of the speed between presses or amount of time overall that has passed), the darn thing will turn “Off” just fine at all levels. Also software toggles work just fine, again only physical button presses having the issue. From what everyone is saying so far it seems, is that ESPhome doesn’t appear to have this bug. I’m still looking at how to migrate to ESPhome… got the add-on installed on Hass, playing with creating the bin file, and researched how to flash it over Tasmota firmware without downgrading (“setoption78 1” that I mentioned above to disable the new OTA compatibility feature implemented in Tasmota). Find out soon enough if I properly understand how to do all this! LOL!

2 Likes

I got ONE of my 2 feit electric cosco dimmers to connect to mqtt / HA! The 2nd one I can not find on my wifi… I’ve tried several wifi scanners… power cycled switch… restarted router… did about everything… it can not be found. I even tried to reflash switch… no luck… I know it has to be flashed because the feit electric app can not find it anymore either. Please help!

When you say you cannot find it on your wifi, do you mean directly after flashing (when you would find a new wifi AP like “tasmota-xxxx”) or after you’ve already setup the switch with your wifi’s ssid/password?

I skipped right over the switches AP… Thanks again! I’m moving too fast for my own good!

Well I migrated to ESPhome, and the On/Off button press toggle definitely works much better! FYI you might have to power cycle the switch to get things running smooth first. That said, I will definitely say (at this point in my experience with all of this so far) that Tasmota is MUCH more user friendly! I used the Home Assistant add-on method found here to configure / flash mine. I based my code off @Jingleheimer’s above code. One important difference though is to add:

web_server:
port: 80

This adds the ability to access the switch via a browser and IP address like you could with Tasmota. It’s FAR less feature rich via the browser than Tas; however, it provides a direct method to upload another firmware… i.e. if you want to go back to Tasmota when/if the button press bug is fixed. Hope this helps anyone still struggling with this!

Edit: don’t add the web_server until you’re ready to flash to a different firmware type… it can cause erratic behavior.

I would advise only using the web_server component if/when you need to (i.e. in your case for potentially flashing back to Tasmota). From the ESPHome documentation:

The web_server component creates a simple web server on the node that can be accessed through any browser and a simple REST API. Please note that enabling this component will take up a lot of memory and can lead to problems, especially on the ESP8266.

@apop Yeah I read that warning while initially researching how to flash back to Tas if needed. I’m currently running Hass on a virtual machine, and I don’t have a USB setup for it. I wanted to find a way to easily flash a non-ESPhome firmware OTA, and was having no luck figuring out the python pip and/or windows esphome flasher app process… at least not without potentially messing things up with an otherwise working switch. I came across the documentation you listed above, as well as a Youtube video showing its usage in the ESPhome add-on, and decided to give it a shot. I haven’t noticed any issues or problems popping up after implementing it; however, that’s not to say that an issue won’t arise, or that the web_server component wouldn’t cause problems on another ESP8266 type device. So far this switch appears unaffected, but I suppose you’re right in that one should probably consider leaving it out until they’re ready to flash their switch to something else.

1 Like

I just wanted to write to say thanks to you all for posting this info. I was able to get my dimmers flashed without any issues.

Also, the flicker appears to be an issue with this switch even with the stock bin file. I plugged one in without flashing anything and it was still flickering. I read some reviews on Costco’s site that also reported flickering. Too bad, I would have loved to purchase more of these. I will keep the two I have because they are really cheap 3-way switches but I probably won’t be purchasing any more.