"Couldn't find Hue Bridge", Emulated Hue Help w/ Google Home Device

I have the latest Google Home and it still supports Emulated Hue.

Did you have it setup before April?

Iā€™ve tried everything and finally came across the forum posts about the change two weeks ago. My Echoes work perfectly but Home will not find the devices. Port 80, latest HA from Hassbian, correction permissions, etcā€¦

See the habridge mentioned the exact issue on their Githubā€“I pretty much gave up until thereā€™s another fix.

I did have it setup before April for sure! but the post say itā€™s no longer working but itā€™s still working and still recognizing my new devices added in HA.

One would have thought if itā€™s no longer supportedā€¦ with the latest update, should it stop working even if it was setup before the update? but maybe thatā€™s how it isā€¦ Iā€™m not so sure! no way to prove and not sure if I want to redo it :slight_smile: (from the google home app, not from HA; as in forget the devices and rediscover)

I think itā€™s more so the initial checkpoint. Every user that had it paired before has no issues with adding LAN devices. Itā€™s just the initial pairing process. The closed issue topics on BWSystems GitHub has a lot more info on this issue.

Itā€™s probably just Philips wanting to make sure people have legitimate Hubs and they have more contacts at Google. Or may Alexa next.

Downgraded Apkā€™s and IPAā€™s seem to work.

The latest technique is some people are trying the MITM technique to redirect the Hue login back to local network. My thing is for a home automation system that everyone in the house uses, itā€™s bit to ā€œbruteā€ for use relative to reliability.

Mine works, as long as you have a physical GH it will work

In configuration or customize

OK HendrixHunter, so I installed remixOS on VirtualBox today to use an earlier Google Home APK (Version 1.19.29). So just to confirm, I was in your same situation and could not get emulated_hue to connect using the most recent apps on iOS or Android. It always redirected to Philips login.

But good news, it works. Donā€™t bother ripping your settings apart. You did everything right. All you have to do:

• Install the Google Home v.1.19.29 on Android (0r if you have a jailbroken iOS, an early version IPA will work as well)
  • Open Google Home, connect per usual. Philips website will also open but Home Assistant will connect within one minute.
  • Youā€™ll see all of your devices.

And thatā€™s it! You can download the latest release on the same device or even a new device. In my case, I completed the pairing processing inside of VirtualBox and just simply downloaded Google Home in the iOS app store on my iPhone. All you have to do now is login. Youā€™ll be able to add/remove any devices as usual.

Using the older app release is only required once for the initial pairing process.
http://imgur.com/a/fkTxI

Check this

1 Like

Hey everyone, newbie here and need some advice or direction.
Looking into using a Google Home with a Pi3 running Homeassistant and wondering if the Emulated Hue and the google home integration stays local to the pi3 OR does it hit a philips server much as we can use the IFTTT.com web hook?
Looking to try to keep it all local if possible and was hoping this is the solution.
The reason I ask is that we currently think that this works similar to the way that IFTT.com work using the web hook from Maker. Trying to get away from having togo outside our intranet if we donā€™t have to.

Thanks for any advice,ā€¦
Phil

The emulated_hue is strictly local.

Thanks for the quick response.
Also for clearing that up for us.
So to control the lights, the Google Home talks to the Emulated Hue in the Home assistant and this relays it to the lights.
We are wanting to control a local device through its serial or through TCP/IP and would love the idea to redirect what would normally be sent to to and from the IFTT.T.com to the local device instead.

Am I understanding this correctly?

lehuy,ā€¦
Would you be kind enough to outline the flow of information from the Google Home when we speak a phrase through to it controlling the lights.
For instance is it Google Home>Google Server>Home Assistant>Emulated Hue>lights. Is this your understanding or anyones understanding?
Anyone that could shed some light on this we would be grateful.
Thanks,ā€¦
Phil

I honestly have not done a nmap scan on the Google Home to HA to give a definite answer.

But it should go like: Google Home hardware (LAN) -> Googleā€™s server for speech processing (WAN) -> Commands sent back to Google Home hardware (LAN) - Local TCP/UDP to Home Assistant Event Bus (LAN).

Iā€™m not really sure what device are trying to control. It may help if you tell us what item that is. The emulated_home doesnā€™t not communicate elsewhere other than on your Home Assistant instance. So you canā€™t hook use Philipā€™s server to trigger any IFTTT.

But its probably easier to have Google Home and IFTTT directly to the device and use a webhook to send Home Assistant said deviceā€™s state.

HThanks again for the information.
We are currently using ifttt (google assistant to trigger webhook which sends a payload to our local device. Our local device will accept a serial input or a TCP/IP connection and all we have to do is to pass along a simple text command. We understand we will have to write a application to grab the data and convert it to what our local device needs.
Edit
The webhook sends the payload to our rpi and then we forward it to the local device.

Thank you for this! Just looked in to using IFTTT, used the Google Assistant (via phone) and IFTTT integration to send a web request to my home assistant via the maker channel. A bit convoluted to set up in this way if youā€™ve got a number of devices to control, but it gets the job done.

Thanks for sharing.
We are currently using the ifttt but would love to bypass this portion if at all possible. This will completely cut out the applet input etc that ifttt requires.
Plus Iā€™m hoping it will help cut down on some delay we are experiencing from spoken phrase to desired local results.
I just havenā€™t been able to get a confirmed process to see if it would work for us.

Emulated_hue exposes these domains to Google Home: switch, light, group, input_boolean, media_player, fan. As long as you can get your device entity under anyone of those domains, you can definitely remove IFTTT.

But keep in mind the current state of emulated_hue and Google Home. All of the latest apps on iOS and Android will not discover emulated home. Any of the older versions of those app that uses https://hue-adapter.appspot.com will pair will work. But the newer releases go to Philips Hue current login page. Iā€™m sure where at the mercy of Philips. They can shut down https://hue-adapter.appspot.com and emulated_hue might need some reworking. So I wouldnā€™t redesign your entire system around Google Home if you intend to use it as your sole interaction method.

I bought a google home only to use with HA, so itā€™s a brick as it stands?

Not necessarily. You can find an old APK if your on Android (or use a VM). Or an IPA on a jailbroken iPhone will work.

I pretty did switched over to HA and Google Home intending to solely the it as well. For now, Iā€™ve made of the design around Alexa (hopefully, Amazon doesnā€™t change the setup as well). At this time, Google Assistant works fine. But I still have to use the VM if I remove the Hub setup. Either way, itā€™s fine as a bedroom device. I donā€™t want my family to have to get use to it and have to completely drop it one day.

so you mean use the old APK/VM to register it, and then can use the app, or i can never use the google home app on my phone?