💾 Create Automated Backups Every Day

Did you get to the bottom of this? I’m hesitant to update HA. I do notice, though, that the screenshot above mentions hassio.snapshot_full, which has been renamed to hassio.backup_full. Could it be that you are running an old version of the Blueprint?

I disabled the automation and was going to check back this week. Was hoping for some activity on here.

Can you check your blueprint code for the above?

Hello,
i have also problems with Backup. The Service backup.create cant be found.

I use the default Blueprint:

blueprint:
  name: Automated Daily Snapshot for Container/Core
  description: Create a snapshot backup at a given time every day.
  domain: automation
  input:
    trigger_time:
      name: Snapshot creation time
      description: The snapshot will be created at this time, every day
      selector:
        time:
    send_notification:
      name: Send notification
      description: Sends a notification to a device if enabled
      selector:
        boolean:
      default: false
    notify_device:
      name: Device to notify
      description: Device needs to run the official Home Assistant app to receive notifications
      selector:
        device:
          integration: mobile_app
      default: ""
  homeassistant:
    min_version: "2022.5.0"

mode: single
max_exceeded: silent

variables:
  send_notification: !input send_notification
  notify_device: !input notify_device
  notification_title: Automated Daily Backup
  notification_message: "Home Assistant full backup created. {{ now().strftime('%F') }}"

trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: !input trigger_time

action:
  - service: backup.create
  - if: "{{ send_notification }}"
    then:
      - device_id: !input notify_device 
        domain: mobile_app
        type: notify
        title: "{{ notification_title }}"

I get the error Message in home-assistant.log

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation.automated_daily_snapshot_for_container_core] Automated Daily Snapshot for Container/Core: Error executing script. Service not found for call_service at pos 1: Unable to find service backup.create

Available Backup services are hassio.backup_partial and hassio.backup_full.
But the service should be available Backup - Home Assistant

My System is
Home Assistant 2022.9.6 Supervisor 2022.09.1 Operating System 9.0 Frontend 20220907.2 - latest x64

Unfortunately, the docs often aren’t up to date. Available services can be checked in Developer Tools —> Services. You have to edit your automation action by replacing the outdated service with service: hassio.backup_full

1 Like

Hi all,

Can the Blueprint be updated? Snapshot is updated to Backup
Services needs to be updated from hassio.snapshot_full to hassio.backup_full

See this update

Thanks!

On my system, the blueprint is at config/blueprints/automation/vorion/

So should just update the YAML for the blueprint to

service: hassio.backup_full?

I believe that should do it, yes.

1 Like

Just to confirm that works!

Hello Vorion,

Can you change hassio.snapshot_full into hassio.backup_full ?
I’ve got an error: Unable to find service hassio.snapshot_full

It was change long time ago.

Thanks

Good to hear.

There is another blueprint that doesn’t require it to be edited to perform a backup.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/updated-automated-backups/413009

@troy
can you share the backup automation
I have switched to truenas scale and now home-assistant is running in a container, but the backups directory is a symbolic link to a mounted dataset (I could have mounted the entire config directory, but decided to limit the tweaking)
I would like to have an automatic weekly backup, and save the last 10 backups

1 Like

@hanan

Here’s a link to the wiki page I made awhile back. I had planned to do more work there but it never developed any further. Unfortunately, it is not so straightforward to setup.

I’m not sure if using a symbolic link will work. You may need to point the blueprint to your configuration inside the ix-applications dataset

thanks @troy ,

1. If I understand correctly taking snapshots is relevant only when the home assistant config directory is on a zfs dataset
  2. what are the benefits of having zfs snapshots over home assistant backup files
  3. If I adapt your snapshot automation to truenas scale, I need to change the rest api used. Looking at the zfs.snapshot.xxx apis I see the following: .delete, .clone, .create, .query, .remove, .rollback, .update. I assume you are referring to zfs.snapshot.create, right?

BTW, the symbolic link works. I have my home assistant data set mounted, and I added a backup directory which the config/backups points to, and home assistant can create, delete and restore backups

1. Correct, we are just using the TrueNAS API to trigger the built in TN snapshot functionality

2. I don’t necessarily know one is an advantage over the other. Home assistant back up is just a zip file and maybe easier to copy off your NAS creating a true backup. ZFS snapshot could still allow you to restore previous configuration if you deleted a file or something, but typically it is not considered a true backup since you will lose your snapshots if the data set is deleted. When I created the my adapted blueprint, the backup function had not yet been added to Home Assisted Core

3. Yes, I believe snapshot create is correct