Create Custom Component from this Docker to allow generic ip camera streams to be viewed using chromecast

Looking into how to view my Amcrest cameras over chromecast I stumbled upon this post where I saw a very promising comment by @gmurad stating they created a process that effectively accomplished making the generic ip camera streams compatible for casting over google chromecast devices. However, as the thread goes on they state that in order to be easily integrated for those that aren’t familiar with docker someone would have to create a custom component for this. This is where I figured I’d propose this feature request: Converting gmurad’s docker github repo into a native (custom or not) component for easy integration into Home Assistant/Hass.io.

Your request is to convert that docker image into a Hass.io add on? I’m happy to give that a shot. I have some experience with docker, but not with Hass.io addons. I know there’s some documentation though.

Yes, that would be perfect! Thanks :slight_smile:

Didn’t get the time to work on this during the weekend. Will try to get to it this week.

1 Like

Started working on this last week. Was out of town this weekend, but will hopefully have something by the weekend.

Thing is I’m not using hass.io now. I opted to go with hassbian instead because there were too many limitations :confused: Any chance of creating a custom_component instead of hassio add-on?

And by any chance is there a way to accomplish this task without ffmpeg? I heard it taxes a Pi pretty roughly.

Custom components are out of my experience level at this point. Can you install Docker on Hassbian? That could be an option.

1 Like

Hi just curious if any work has been done on this and hass.io? Would like to be able to stream the amcrest cameras to google chromecast/home/hub/assistant if possible.