Creating a live video stream on a dashboard

Newbie here just learning dashboards.
I have integrated Unfi Protect and have added two entity cards, one for each of the cameras in my two camera doorbell. When the entity card is clicked it provides live video. The video How can make these video streams appear on the card without having to click anything? Thank you for all your comments!

Hi, you can do it with webRTC camera custom component from HACS

Hi, I’m a newbie too. I just did this a few weeks ago. I used the Picture entity card, and in the configuration, I changed the Camera View from auto to live. Hope this helps!

1 Like

@Deedee I am not finding that, can you post a screen shot? Thank you.

Sure. When I edit my dashboard and click “Add Card”, this is what I select:

Here is the configuration screen:

1 Like

@Deedee thank you this definitely works. The image lags pretty bad though. Not sure why that it is. I am going also try some of these other suggestions. Thank you!

1 Like

If go2rtc or your NVR or Frigate is in your local network (meaning your cameras and Home Assistant and whatever) is all local you will succeed.

If (like me) I have two Home Assistant installations, one at my gate about a mile from my house. And worse on different routers … so like:

camera → Gate Home Assistant → HA Cloud → Another HA Cloud → Home Assistant at home → devices at home.

You will fail. The lag is so bad and cannot be fixed. 10/20 seconds and many times just locks it up.

So I just use the (God Forbid) app. No choice.

Granted, I have a “edge” case as people tell me (funny how the Reolink/Camera app solves that edge case though).

@d13g0m0nt3s Unifi Protect cameras use rtsps and not rtsp so I was unable to make this work, but thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

@mchammer Thanks for asking this question, I just did the same! I wondered if you had any progress on the lag time? I’m still testing out, but am getting a 5-7 second delay on the low res feed and similar on the medium res.

Results vary depending on the kind of stream, how you integrate it and lastly your hardware.

I added the camera as a generic camera using the rtsp stream. There is about 1 second lag to initial image and then less than 1 sec lag to real time image update.

Unifi works with rtsp, remove the s, 7447 port and remove ?enable.

If I was you I would create connectivity between your locations even though they are mile apart. Ubiquiti has some good long range products that more reasonable than most.

Hard to explain but not possible. Think of a house on top of the mountain and a gate that is > 0.5 miles away, in a valley … with 5000 100ft trees between,

They put in cellular that is > 50MB that I get at the gate. I have Starlink at the house.

HA in both locations now and using remote HA and other webhooks, I have it all working perfect. I can open the gate at house by seeing the Reolink feed, speak to Alexa, which goes Alexa->Amazon Cloud->HA Home->HA Remote->Gate and it opens in about one second.

I can stream the camera through Reolink or HA at the gate.

Better I put in notification on Gate HA which sends notifications to phones and the notification has the actions to open the camera stream or even just open the gate.