Creating a new device tracker for Ruckus Unleashed

I am currently running Ruckus Unleashed which is basically like an embedded WLC on relative cheap Ruckus Access Points for small wireless deployments.
Unfortunately it doesn’t support an API and neither does the SNMP give any result for currently active wireless stations (stations as in laptops, phones et cetera).
What I did find was an command on the (SSH-) CLI for which I could create an regular expression.
I want to try to create a new device tracker using this. Now I have never created something for HA before and I was wondering if there is some kind of blueprint and/or starting point for me to dig into.
As a reference here is the output I got on the CLI:

Clients:
    Mac Address= 00:11:22:33:44:55
    OS/Type= 
    Host Name= THE_HOSTNAME
    User/IP= 192.168.7.2
    Role= 
    Access Point= aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
    BSSID= aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
    Connect Since=2019/10/15 18:55:49
    Auth Method= Open
    WLAN= MY_ESSID
    VLAN= 1
    Channel= 6
    Radio= 802.11g
    Signal= 44
    Status= Authorized

did you have any success?

Nope. Don’t know where to start.

Hi! I have created a ruckus unleashed binding for openhab using the cli. It supports online/offline notifications, basic client info and the option to block/unblock clients. I will soon publish the code.
I’ll let you know once it is on github. You will be able to reuse scripts and parts of the code.

Awesome! Thanks. That could be a nice starting point :+1:t2:

Here is some information. I guess the easiest is to look at the expect scripts.
There is a python version of expect, so this can be done in homeassistant in a similar manner.

The repo is located here:

Regards, S

Thanks for sharing. To be honest with you, I don’t know where to start on the HA side of this.

For all folks visiting this topic, an awesome developer created a Ruckus Unleashed integration: click

@pathia for me using the hass ruckus integration breaks the map when assigning it to
a person . I also had another problem with it which escapes me. Did it work for you? I messaged the developer of it but just crickets. I went back to using the old integration here: https://github.com/bbrendon/hass/tree/master/custom_components/ruckus_direct

Could you please describe your problem in some more detail?