Creating a sunrise to sunset automation

Hi all,

I am trying to create an automation that will set the color temperature of my 2 LIFX lights to match the sunrise and sunset (without turning on the lights). I know it’s possible to alter the color state of LIFX lights without turning them on, but I am a little confused on how. Ultimately, I would like the automation to do something like this:

From sunrise to zenith: transition from the warmest color temp to regular daylight color temp.
From zenith to sunset: transition from regular daylight color temp back to warm color temp.
From sunset to when I tell Alexa to go to bed: remain the same.

I am planning on creating a second automation to actually turn on the lights and alter the brightness over the course of the day for my special work/weekend schedules. That way, when my lights do turn on based on my schedule, they will turn on already the correct color to match the sun state.

Thanks for your help, sorry if this is a noob question but I am very new to HA and don’t quite understand how to make this automation/script/whatever it is.

In 0.119 (probably) there’ll be the Adaptive Lighting integration that does exactly what you want. Until then, you can install the custom component.