Creating and then changing the on/off state of an entity using a Z2M remote

tl;dr - how to get a remote to control an entity that would set a state of off or on.

Hi there - I’m a novice and I’m trying to achieve something that’s a little more advanced than where I am at the minute, so I would be really grateful for any pointers. As I’ve been thinking about how I might achieve this it seems like there are multiple ways it could be done, but I have had a go at one or two but completely failed.

I’m trying to create an entity which would be the state of a mode - off or on. The point of this is to be able to check this state when running automations - the entity would have to be on for it to run.

The off or on mode would be changed by an IKEA Somrig remote in Z2M.

How can I do this? I have tried creating a blank entity and linking one of the button presses on the remote to it but that didn’t seem to work. I tried getting the Somrig bluebrint and tried to get it to do things using that - that didn’t work either. The remote is connected to HA - I’ve got it running a very simple automation to turn a light off and on right now, but I can’t seem to work out what to do to get this to do what I’m after.

Can anyone help? Thank you hopefully in advance!

Create an input boolean helper.

You can turn this on an off using an automation triggered by your remote.

1 Like

Thank you! This was much simpler than I was expecting and that I had been trying to do myself by a different method. Brilliant, thanks!

1 Like