Cretate a device_tracker from a binary_sensor is it possible?

I have a binary_sensor that I use as a presence detector (on home off not_home), I wish to transform it into a device_tracker, is it possible?

I donā€™t know if you can change it to a true device_tracker but you can make it read as ā€˜homeā€™ or ā€˜awayā€™ by changing the ā€˜device_class:ā€™

EDIT: Just re-read your post. You already have it set up like that. Never mindā€¦

I guess Iā€™m not exactly sure why you would want to, but you could do it using my custom Composite Device Tracker.

2 Likes

I recently did something like this for the bluetooth Monitor baysian sensor. Look up the device_tracker.see service. When I get home I can post my automation example if needed.

I am in the same boat.

I use the BLE monitor tool by @andrewjfreyer which provides a confidence level for presence based upon bluetooth.

However the new person component only works with device tracker entities, so I cant use my Bluetooth presence fto inform a new person entity.

1 Like

I did it using mqtt device tracker + a simple automation that sends ā€œhomeā€ / ā€œnot_homeā€ mqtt message to the trackerā€™s topic whenever sensorā€™s state changes (not the most elegant but works great).

1 Like

Yep, I saw your component after posting. Testing it right now, seems working fine. Thanks

My same problem

I also originally combined multiple device_trackers per person using automations and the device_tracker.see service. Then I turned that into the custom composite device_tracker platform. :slight_smile:

FWIW, my custom composite device tracker also accepts BLE-based device_trackers.

@phileep just chiming in to say that monitor does have device_tracker support, implemented just after the person component was released. See the FAQ here.

1 Like

problem is when you have more then one monitor instance you have multiple device_tracker (one for each monitor instance) but should be just one: for the phone tracked

The person component can handle multiple device trackers, so thatā€™s what a lot of folks have done. Another option is to use the device_tracker.see service as described here and here.

There are many ways to skin this particular cat.

Ahhh, ok did not know that, I will investigate how to combine yours (which are just home not home) together with gps based trackers