Curious as to the cost of a HA system?

Thanks - got a couple of Pi3s, might just take the risk for that amount of money :slight_smile:

Depending on whether its a Rp3 or Rp3+ you might need this:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

Are you starting from scratch or transferring an SD card to it?

I’d be transferring my setup from the SD Card to it - most likely using RPi-Clone.

Ok, looks like if you use the right commands for that it will update commandline.txt and fstab to reference sda instead of mmcblk0 for you. Wish I knew that when I did mine :slight_smile:

Now you made me curious :wink:
What are ‘the right commands’ - keep in mind I know nothing about the process yet apart from the fact that I’d like to do this :blush:

When you go from SD card to HDD, you need to update fstab and commandline.txt in the boot partition to have ‘sda’ instead of ‘mmcblk0’.

The page for that tools says ‘sudo rpi-clone sda’. When I read it the first time I didn’t realise you ran this on the actual live Rpi so it looks like the ‘right commands’, might be the default ones :smile: I used dd on a third party machine, so the SD card was not being used.

Thanks for that @callifo - using the SD card clone is easy, it just have to be move it to the SD card clot.
Booting from a clone off the USB port might take a little extra work - I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Hi Bobby,

you’re right, my db file is 11Go.
I don’t really know how to manage that, clear that, … maybe i will disable history, because i will never use them.

regards

this is what i have in my config.yaml It keeps my DB down to about 880Mb

recorder:
  purge_interval: 1
  purge_keep_days: 7
  include:
    domains:
      - light
      - switch
      - sensor
      - media_player
      - automation
      - input_boolean
      - input_datetime
      - input_number
1 Like

just shut down hassio from ssh, delete the database and restart hassio… all from ssh
Purge interval as Dave suggests to stop it getting out of control going forward.

Perhaps I’m going against the trend here, but my friends had mixed results with the PI and it’s quirks, most of them moved to a J1900-based small form factor pc after a couple of months (a quad-core celeron, with a ssd and 8gb of ram has plenty of power and very lower power usage).

I would advise for anyone that thinks it has a decent chance of using home automation long term to use virtual box (or any other virtualization solution) to run home assistant on his/her laptop/desktop/etc and instead of buying the pi to buy some home automation devices (zwave, cameras or whatever you’d like to start with) and focus on the ideas on what to automate and learn how to actually “do” home automation instead learn the pi…

If you can get a few devices and do useful automation and if you have fun tinkering, then start considering a pi or another low-power system to run things and then study the cons and pros…

ho, thx a lot,

is there a doc about that ? to know which parameter can be used ? and what thay do like purge_interval ?
if i avtivate the recorder, do i need to delete first the db like what DavidFW1960 says, or just wait 7 days and it will be done automatically ?

Is there the same kind of recorder for the logs ?

its all here:

the purge interval tells it how often to delete stuff, in my case it does so each day, but leaving 7 days of data in the DB, so just deleting the 8th day essentially

1 Like

I had never thought of just using a USB stick. Are there other pros/cons compared to an SD card?

Probably all benefits outside of “cost”.

Just FYI:
A little while ago I bought this SSD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ2FRU2

Took me quite some time to get there, but I managed to get it running - my biggest issue was to replace the NOOBS-based setup I had been carrying over fora long time with a pure Raspian Stretch Lite one without losing all the other stuff I was running outside my Venv.