Custom Button Colour - Calling Scene

Hi Team.

I am trying to setup a custom:button-card and have the bare bones of something. The button is just running a scene. Is it possible to set a colour?

I am able to do this when and switch has an on or off but first time using a button with a scene

type: custom:button-card
show_name: true
show_icon: true
icon: mdi:hdmi-port
tap_action:
  action: call-service
  service: scene.turn_on
  target:
    entity_id: scene.livingroom_hdmi_gamesconsole
name: HDMI Retro
styles:
  card:
    - width: 100px
    - height: 100px

Do you mean set a color when the scene is active? Please elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish.

Scenes don’t have an “on” or “off” state, they just run and set the entities they contain to the state in the scene. You could maybe use a binary sensor to track the state of the scene but this might require an automation to set the state too.

There is also possibly the option of using the automatic color feature to set the button color to the color of one of the lights in the scene? It wouldn’t be perfect but it would be better than nothing.

Thank you for the reply. Yes i am just looking for a visual way to know that the button has been pressed and the scene is running. I guess i could use a Boolean and then knock something up in node red to change the boolean and run the scene

Yes, unfortunately it’s not possible to determine an “on” state for a scene, it’s a run-once kinda deal.

A workaround I previously implemented to “detect” if a Scene was triggered for a light scene (to enable cycling through scenes with button press) is to look at one light bulb in the scene and check if the RGB and brightness values of that bulb correspond to the values in the scene. If it matched exactly, it was assumed the scene was on for the rest of the room too. You could use a template sensor with an AND connector to check multiple lights. This is assuming your scene contains lights at all, if not, it may be more difficult.

I did this using an automation myself so I’m not sure about the syntax for a template sensor, but I’m sure you could make a template binary sensor scene_X_on that turns on or off depending on the state of the entities within.