[Custom Component] Alarmo - browser managed alarm system

Hi, interesting component, indeed!
Installed and made it work really fast. Here some comments:

1. Trigger time minimum is 1 minute, when you have pets in the house, even 30 seconds is a pain to them. I normally keep the siren going for not more than 10 seconds.
  2. I have triggered the alarm, the siren started, but even if I have disarmed, it kept going until I have turned off manually using the device switch.
  3. It failed to set armed_away because the motion has detected me, and the Ikea one remains on for about a minute and then blind for 3. Would be nice to set a grace period for some sensors when arming, so that they have the time to go off.

This is it for now, I will do more tests, let me know how can I help.

Looks good when will this be in hacs?

Oh wow, I never heard of such a thing.
But I will accommodate something for this flexibility (no one likes hard-coded restrictions right?).

That is concerning!
I will try to find some time this weekend to figure this out.
Ofcourse I tested the enabling/disabling of the siren, but maybe (hopefully) I overlooked something.
I will let you know.

Well the leave time is exactly for that.
Unless you configured your motion sensor as immediate, it is allowed to be ON while the alarm is in arming.
So in your case, the leave time must be a minute.

I had some nice ideas regarding this, like classify sensor types and add some intelligence to it.
A motion sensor is allowed to be ON while, and (shortly) after arming. The OFF->ON transition is what matters.
A door sensor ON->OFF could become a trigger for skipping the (rest of the) leave time and arming immediately. After you close your front door, your alarm is set, you get a push message and youā€™re done. It seems more intuitive than waiting longer than needed.

Anyway, I appreciate this kind of feedback. It helps improving the functionality :slight_smile:

Would it be possible to have it trigger something besides a siren? for example lights that youā€™re able to configure to flash etc? I have a bunch of hue lights that Iā€™d like to have flashing until I disarm the alarm

If I already have the manual alarm component set up, I assume I should remove it to use this?

Its high on my list, but I first want to improve some things.

The idea is to provide more flexibility here, yes.
Functionality should be similar to triggering an action in an automation.
Perhaps even allowing sequences / loops.
Can you send a command to Hue to make them flash? It would be much better than sending ON/OFFs rapidly for mimicking a flash.

Anyway, for the time being: you can create an automation to handle the behaviour as you want it, which is triggered when the alarm switch turns on.
Its not ideal, but it will take some time before i can release more functionalityā€¦

Not necessarily.
Installing this will create an entity alarm_control_panel.alarmo.
As long as there are no conflicts with this entity, you can create multiple alarms.
But i recommend to eventually settle for one :slight_smile:

Enabling and disabling specific sensors would be great to have. Often you may want to arm the system while keeping a window open.

When I replace my manual alarm with alarmo in the Lovelace alarm card, the code entry keypad shows up automatically, even though I have not enabled codes in alarmo.

Think we should find another way for this.
The panel is intended for configuration, not for everyday usage.
An idea I had:

• if you enable the alarm (while a window is open), this fails and you get a message that there was a blocking sensor
  • If you then enable the alarm again (say, within a minute), the alarm assumes you want to ā€˜forceā€™ it, and the blocking sensor is bypassed until the next time you set the alarm

Alternatively, we could introduce extra alarm codes for ā€˜overridingā€™ checks, but I think this is less intuitive.

I will look into that.
Pretty sure that you can ignore the keypad and just press the buttons, but it is not ideal.

Your solution is interesting, but not sure will work if you are in a hurry to leave. We should consider these cases:

1. Use of the alarm card. You just get a message with the ā€œContinueā€ and ā€œCancelā€ buttons. You can decide immediately if to override or not.

2. You arm the alarm using a button (my case). In this situation you can only rely on the smartphone for the message, but I think is not immediate to use. In my case I use a small color bulb that blinks when arming/pending, turns a different color when armed night or away. Works fine, maybe I could add a different color here to show there is a sensor on and so canā€™t arm. In this case you can check for the sensor or just re-arm to override without even looking at the phone.
    Woul be nice to have a device (color bulb) output where to show all the ā€œstatusesā€.

3. Armed automatically when you leave the house. In this case you can rely on the smartphone for messages.

Will keep looking for the best solution.

It looks like code_format needs to be null unless youā€™re using a code.

1 Like

@neliss One more thing about sensors. Right now you can set a sensor to trigger when armed in open or more modes. But there are sensors, see the water sensor, that you may want to trigger the alarm, even if disarmed.
For example, I have a rainwater collection well that when reaches a certain level a sensor starts the pump to empty the well. I have an extra sensor that sends an alarm in case the water overflows because the pump doesnā€™t work. Right now it is connected to a Gigaset Elements system that triggers the alarm even if disabled; it saved me from flood a couple of times already.

Something totally different. When using the android app, Alarmo settings does not show up properly.

1 Like

@ everyone: I appreciate your enthousiasm and all ideas I received so far :+1:
Now I need some time (letā€™s say ~2 weeks), to add all these discussed improvements.

Iā€™d like to ask to stop asking for more features for a bitā€¦
Because itā€™s getting overwhelming and I cannot keep track of it all :grin:

If you want to help me: please transfer/organise/bundle your suggestions as feature requests in the issue list of my GitHub page.
This helps me to keep track of the todo list.

Next update will be a big one :wink:

5 Likes

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

• I do require sending the code via MQTT as itā€™s a requirement of the alarm interface Iā€™m using (and adds securityā€¦ to a security system)
  • I would like to have ARMED_AWAY, ARMED_HOME, DISARMED, PENDING, TRIGGERED exposed.
  • I have different MQTT topics for ā€˜inā€™ and ā€˜outā€™ of the alarm interface.
  • Feedback for sensors is in the ā€˜outā€™ topic (data OUT of alarm)
  • Option to overirde would be good but I my commercial alarm system only allows this for zones (inputs) that I have coded to allow it. If you added the ability to selectively control which zones (inputs) allowed for overriding, that would be really nice since some really shouldnā€™t be overridden for security purposes.

Having the option for multiple (at least two) ā€˜areasā€™ would be awesome. Multiple ā€˜areasā€™ is very common in commercial alarm systems (my old house alarm could do up to 256), my current system has two areas which can be ARMED_HOME, ARMED_AWAY or DISARMED independently, allowing a shed for example to be armed separately from the house. Each area has itā€™s own parameters for ENTRY DELAY, EXIT DELAY, SIREN, etc. Itā€™s basically the same as having two completely independent systems, but controlled from one panel.

Works fine so far. But I got one question. Does the alarm be armed automatically when the users leave the house? Because for me this doesnā€™t work and I had to arm the system with an automation.

No, nothing is in place for this yet.
Currently Iā€™m working on improving the customisation of notifications and devices to be triggered on alarm (like siren).
It could be a next step to add functionality for automatic arming.
This is very user-dependent so it will never be fixed in Alarmo, but perhaps configurable.

How would you deal with cases like a window that you left open, or a failing sensor?
Alarmo will not be able to arm if there are open sensors.
You will be able to receive a notification of these issues, but perhaps you are already on the road by the time you receive this.
I am planning to add a function like: if you try to arm and there are failures, it does not work (you will get notification). If you arm again within, say 5 minutes, it will be ā€˜forcedā€™ and sensors that are open at that point will be blacklisted/bypassed temporarily (until next disarming).

I prefer democratic decision making :slight_smile: Please let me know your preferences, and I will take them into account for improvement.

Automatic arming is definitely best left to the user to implement using automations. Thereā€™s no way you could cover all possibilities.

As for warning then forcing armed state if a sensor is open. That seems logical.

1 Like

As I mentioned a few posts above, this is common in commercial alarm systems, however they also usually give you the option to enable/disable this on a zone (input) by zone basis since some things should never by bypassed.

1 Like

I think that automation could be left to the user, with the preferred own arming logic.

Talking about other things, a way to define multiple sirens could be useful.

And finally, I want to ask (Iā€™m a newbie) how a sensor can be bypassed.
Example: during the summer I left my covers closed but window opened. Covers and windows has separate sensors, but both as perimeter. I want to arm the alarm, bypassing the window oneā€¦ having the possibility to close the window during the night without disarm and without triggering the alarm.
Now I handle this on my zwave controller (zipabox by zipato, that I want to abandon, so Iā€™m playing with HA) that has a virtual alarm system that works with that logic: if a sensor is not ready for arming, I can bypass it, so I can arm the alarm, than I can close the window during the night without alarm disarming (but the next opening cause the alarm to trigger).