Custom Component: (Australia) OpenNEM

Sometimes I write stupid code - that one is easy to fix remotely by the look of it

I’ve just pushed a release - hopefully that fixes it

1 Like

seems ok now

Is this one fixed now?

No, I really should look at that one :slight_smile:

Well chop chop… not like we can go anywhere and do anything else… hahahaha

I’ve pushed a fix this morning

1 Like

Thanks, I was able to figure out HomeAssistant enough today to get it installed and charting. It was setup just in time to catch a NEM price spike from $47 to $181.

Next step is figuring out a power management strategy to respond to the price and handle pricing that can change to reflect FIT and export limits. I’ll try Node Red, although I suspect it might get a bit messy.

Thank you so much for this integration! It is exactly what I need for a project I’m working on. Such a great community that shares their hard work for others to benefit from / build upon.

I had this integration working yesterday, but as of 9:15am this morning it has stopped updating. I still have the integration installed in HACS, it still has all the custom_components and the sensor definition hasn’t changed. Can you think of any reason why it would just stop updating? I’ve checked and the raw json data is available from openNEM. I’ve restarted HA a few times but still no joy. Thinking I might have to rip it completely out and start again.

By manually setting some of the openNEM data to arbitrary values, I can see that somehow the values are being reset to the point in time when the updates stopped happening. Almost like it is using a cached version of the openNEM data instead of fetching new data to apply.

Maybe this line from the debug logs is useful:
2021-07-31 22:37:11 DEBUG (SyncWorker_1) [custom_components.opennem.sensor] OpenNEM: Last Updated 2021-07-30 23:15:00+00:00

Looking through the python script this seems to be printed at the end of the process - and is saying that the last update was around a day ago.

So checking the raw json I get from my desktop browser, I can now see that this is pulling out the correct values. Maybe openNEM is not updating, or I’m being rate limited / blocked / served old data.

Time to go to bed.

I’m getting the same issue - it appears the json source isnt being updated

I’ve published an update that changes the datasource to something that appears to be updating - should appear in HACS soon

1 Like

Thanks @bacco007 working here. I’m very impressed you could find a new feed and then code up for it so quickly.

Just found this, as I’ve been using the Amber Energy integration, but I’m not a customer of theirs so won’t be able to continue using it once they close their old integration (the new one requires a user login).

Just two questions - does this only update the spot price every 30 minutes? Is it possible to fetch the 5 minute updates?

Also, is it possible to access the AEMO spot price forecast data as the Amber Electric has?

The datasource only provides a 30 min Spot Price

Not with the data source thats used, sorry

Thanks for this custom component, tracked through the $9,421/ MWh price spike this morning.

Hi there,
Is there a way to load multiple regions rather than a single one? I tried duplicating the config for multiple regions but it overwrites the data for all regions with the last one in the config.

Thank you

I’ve been working on a new version that will fix a few issues, but its a bit slow going at the moment.

I’m hoping to have a beta soon (I need to fix my development HA environment to make it a bit easier to do first)

I’ve published a new version today - but because there has been an extensive rewrite, it contains breaking changes

hmm… can’t add integration. it’s not in the list. the log shows custom is loading. i removed the sensor from yaml file right?

I’d pushed another release to fix an issue with the files that were uploaded