Custom Component: Crow Runner / Arrowhead AAP 8/16 Alarm IP Module

I apologize because I was the one who messed up the version. It’s the same.

Just for information:

If you have Crow BS-1 Siren (It doesn’t write brand or model anywhere, i found out from the pictures of it online), if it starts chirping like a bird for no reason (one chirp every second), and you see no warnings or errors on the alarm panel; that means the battery of the siren died out…

For whatever reason they decided to put a warning mechanism to the siren independent of the alarm panel. And in the siren manual this warning mechanism is not written and you cannot silence it until you disconnect +12V line from the system. Found out this the hard way at 06:00 in the morning :rofl:

Btw it uses 12V 1.3Ah small size battery; you have to press PXXXXENTER (installer code) before opening the siren box screw for disabling tamper…

Just to let you guys know it if you have this kind of problem in the future…

1 Like

@febalci

As from version HA 2021.12 device_state_attributes is deprecated and should be replaced by extra_state_attributes

adjustments needs to made in:
alarm_control_panel.py, binary_sensor.py, sensor.py
I made the changes on my code and it works without any warning messages it’s just a renaming…

Good night from Spain.

I have this alarm at home, 16 zones with voice dialing module (DTMF) and with the GSM / GPRS module to have a SIM card as a backup of the telephone line.
I have purchased the IP-MODULE from app.co.nz, I told them that I wanted to integrate my alarm system into HA and they provided me with the firmware.

I have not done anything, I have received the ip module and the D-LINK cable.
I would like to know, step by step as if it were very clumsy, what steps should I take.

I have the following doubts:

• Will I be able to continue using my phone call module when the alarm goes off? Currently, when the alarm detects a movement, I receive a phone call and a voice message indicating which zone has been where the event occurred. Will I continue to have that?

• Can you tell me what steps I should take to:

1. Flash the ip module with the firmware they have given me.
  2. Make a backup of my alarm installation
  3. Make a backup of the original firmware that came with the IP module?
  4. Is it necessary to purchase the Android Play Store App? Or would it only be used with Home Assistant?
  5. In my case I have 5 interior motion sensors, an exterior siren, an interior siren, 6 exterior motion sensors. Would everyone appear in HA? What should i do?

I will try to read the whole thread, but I have exposed all the initial doubts that I have. Thanks a lot.

Summary

Step by Step to use module ip with crow runner 16

Hola aivdev,
I am a bit rusty on this but here are my thoughts:

• the SIM module you have and the IP module you have bought, I understand are two separate modules. I do not think the changes made to the IP module should impact your existing SIM module. The issue that is talked about is that if you have one (IP) module then in order to use the HA integration you have to flash the firmware which removes the ability to communicate with AAP servers and the mobile app. This is assuming both modules can be physically connected etc.
  1. yes flash the IP module with the new firmware
  2. I don’t know how to do this - but whilst it may be wise, you shouldn’t be changing any of the alarm setup so it shouldn’t be needed…
  3. This MAY be available in the firmware upload software, or you might be able to get from supplier.
  4. If you want to use the IP module with the new firmware the Android app will be useless. You would only buy it if you wanted to test the IP module out before you flashed the firmware.
  5. I’m not sure about the siren’s, but the motion sensors would all be able to appear in HA if you wish.

I hope the above helps.

Thank you very much for answering me so quickly.

From aap.co.nz they have sent me the ip module, a USB-PC cable and a CD ROM “D-LINK USB V.1.0”. In this message: Custom Component: Crow Runner / Arrowhead AAP 8/16 Alarm IP Module - #81 by Crumpy10

They speak of a ULD16 flat cable to be able to use the software via GUI connected by TCP-IP https://community.home-assistant.io/t/custom-component-crow-runner-arrowhead-aap-8-16-alarm- ip-module / 130588/81? u = aivdev

The truth is that I find it very interesting, but that flat cable has not been sent to me, they have only sent me a 5-wire cable with a white connector.

Is the flat cable necessary? Or is the DLINK USB cable enough to make a backup?

How is the firmware loaded in the ip module? I have the firmware in my mail because it was sent to me by aap.co.nz but with what software is it loaded? with the usb d-link ??

Excuse so many questions

From memory here.

The USB-PC cable you have been sent is used to load the firmware. You need the software off the CD in order to load the firmware file that was sent to you via email. I’m a Mac user and had to find a Windows PC with a CD drive in order to get the software running.

The ULD16 cable mentioned in the link is not required for this setup (i.e. IP module to control alarm and view status). I believe it is used for remotely configuring the alarm panel or similar.

I believe you only need, and I only have, the 5 wire cable in order to connect the IP module to the alarm board. Comments following the post above agree with this.

I am not sure what you are trying to backup.

• The IP module firmware, you may be able to backup via the USB cable and software you have been sent. I can’t recall the options. Or vendor supplier should be able to supply original firmware, as it is firmware it is not full of custom config.

• Your actual alarm panel settings (e.g. zones, timeouts, PINs, installer codes etc. This, in my mind at least, is a totally separate exercise. There is also no way for the IP module to change any of those settings, as I understand it. I may be wrong but I think this is low risk.

The original IP module software I believe shouldn’t be hard to get, if you wanted to go back. You can ask AAP for it if you don’t already have it.

The ULD16 cable between IP module and alarm panel is to allow using the Upload/Download software to change alarm panel settings via the IP module - this is the software to use if you want to backup all your alarm panel settings, i.e. zone names, etc. As far as I was able to figure out, on the Runner 8/16 panel, this is the only way to get the Upload/Download software working. In theory, the DLINK USB cable can be used with the Upload/Download software, i.e. via serial connection; however I don’t believe the latest Upload/Download software works with this alarm panel.

So, if you want to make a backup of all your alarm panel settings, then I would say you need that ULD16 cable and then use the LAN connection in the Upload/Download software (via your IP module) to connect to your alarm panel. This works regardless of the IP module firmware (I have got it working with the firmware used for HA). If this is something you wanted to do; and you didn’t have the ULD16 cable, I posted in this thread the details on how to make your own cable.

Hope this helps

Well @jokkydee , as a matter of fact, you don’t need the ULD16 cable in order to backup/restore alarm panel settings. DLINK cable will be enough, although having ULD16 cable will bring an advantage to backup/restore from LAN. I do not have this ULD16 cable in my setup. I already bricked one runner panel with my mistakenly reverse soldered ULD 16 cable :sweat_smile:

With D-LINK cable you have to make a serial connection, Upload/Download Software was working with this setup. You just plug in the D-LINK module to the voice card (since it sits on top of the panel connection and uses the same connection port), and make a COM serial connection. I have to check the version of the upload/Download software i used when i get back home.

@aivdev , your SIM card and voice modules will work exactly as it is before. Although you might not need the panel to call you on motions anymore since HA can handle that with IP module. But you can keep SIM card and voice as a backup in case internet goes down on your home.

For the IP Module original firmware, you do not need to back it up since almost all versions are already on AAP site to download.

Also you do not need to purchase an android app. The HA works it out only with a custom component.

You will be able to see all your sensors in HA, but not the sirens. But you will have an entity attribute if the alarm goes off and sirens work.

So, in particular order:

1. Backup your alarm panel settings using DLINK cable and upload/Download software.
  2. Upgrade firmware of IP Module using DLINK cable and IAP application
  3. Connect IP Module to Alarm Panel and LAN
  4. Connect to IP Module from a web browser and make the necessary settings.
  5. Install AAP/Crow custom component from the github site
  6. Make the necessary config on configuration.yaml

I think that’s all. If you face any problems on these items, ask us here… You will be happy with the outcome.
Good Luck.

Thank you!

Step 2. App IAP application ¿where can I donwload it? I receive module-ip, DLINK and CD with DLINK Software.
Can I Upgrade the IP Module without connect AC in? or I need AC in ip module? Maybe is enoguth with DLINK Cable.

Thanks!

I’ve found the IAP software in this site: https://www.syscom.mx/producto/IAAP-CROW-88498.html ¿it is correct?

I’m trying to upload the firmware that app.co.nz send me: PSTNETH_CONTROL_210_3628.apx the IAP software version is 2.1.0.95

I’ve DLINK conect COM24, but… I’m trying to connect but say me “COM24 Disconnecting”… Maybe The IP module must be connected with AC power?

The Alarm software to upload/download is xld16i ???

Thank you and sorry for my doubts.

Ah right, I suspect I had the wrong version of the Upload/Download software when I tried using the serial connection.

The IP module must be powered via the 12V input supply as well as having the DLINK cable connected in order to program it

It’s perfect!!

I’ve connected the ip module to 12V output of crow panel and the leds are on and USB and iap detect the ip module.
Fantastic!!! Tomorrow I will upload firmware.

First, I want to do a backup, here I’ve find the Runner upload Download software that I think that works with my DLINK USB Cable (tomorrow I will try it)
https://ftp3.syscom.mx/usuarios/ftp/2015/04/24/b1b77/runner8_Up_Dn.zip
Thankyou!!!

Little Update!!

I think that now, I starting to know how this works…

But I need something…I would like the next:

• When I press “Arm at Home” I would like that Arm Zone “B”
  • When I press “Arm Away” I would like to Arm Zone “A and B”
  • When I press “Arm in Holidays” I would like to Arm “Zone A”

It’s the behaviour that I’ve in Keyboard 1 that I would like to reproduce in HomeAssistant.

On the other hand, at mi bedroom, I’ve Keyboard 2. In this keyboard, when I press “Arm at Home”, the system arm Zone B and all sensor of first floor (my bedroom is in second floor) ¿What I’ve to do to reproduce in Home Assistant? I would like to associante this behaviour to press “Arm at night” ¿it’s possible?

Last question, I see that some buttons only works if I introduce my code (user) and press the button, ¿it’s possible to works without introduce the code and only introduce the code to disarm?

Thanks for all.

Hi @febalci I can’t get it to work properly…

I need that if I press Away, the alarm is armed zone A and zone B.
If you put on Home, I need zone B to be armed

How can I alter that behavior?

Hi @aivdev , since my system only uses Zone A (I don’t use Zone B), i am not sure how to handle that. I think our other users here who uses both Zones might be of help. If at the end, we need to change anything in the component code, i can gladly do that. But i need to know what to do (more algorithmic and code-wise).
You can also use code to disarm if you don’t enter code to configuration.yaml

Maybe… when I say “Zone A or Zone B”, I really say “Partition A or Partition B”… it’s possible?

For me Partition B is all sensors (zone) that are out of home.
Partition A is all sensors (zones) that are in the home.

@febalci new news…

I shutdown HA and direct connect from console telnet to module ip.

If I sent command…

• A, I receive:
    OKA
    EAA

• B, I receive:
    OKB
    but not… EAB…

• STAY, I receive:
    OKSTAY
    ESA

• ARM, I receive:
    (nothing) the alarm start to arm (A, but not B)

However if in the keypad I press “ARM” it’s set Arm A and B…
And if in the keypad I press “STAY” it’s set ARM B

So… Why my keypad understand STAY its arm B, and If I press “B” button I arm “B”… but IP Module not arm B…¿?

Hi!!!

@febalci I found the solution!!!

The problem was keypad 8!!!
It’s very important to configure keypad address 8 (the tips was the pdf file at pycrowipmodule github).
In keypad address 8 I only have set…Area A for Keypad8… I check the same config for Keypad8 that Keypad1 (main keypad in my house) and now when I write STAY (by telnet) zone B arms!

Now I will try with HA

Thanks