Custom Component: Crow Runner / Arrowhead AAP 8/16 Alarm IP Module

Nice @aivdev , if it works on telnet, it will most probably work with custom component too (I hope so :sweat_smile:). Nice finding on Keypad 8. Let us know if it works…

@febalci there is a small mistake.

When “arm away” is pressed on the HA component it changes the state to “Armed” but if I press “arm home” (B) the state does not change.
And looking at HA I don’t know if the alarm is activated or not, do I explain myself?

When you press “ARM AWAY”, the system sends the command “ARM” and gets the response “EAA” and/or “EAB”.
When you press “ARM HOME”, the system sends the command “STAY” and gets the response “ESA” and/or “ESB”.

With your setup as i see; when you send “STAY” command; the system sets Area A only not B. Can you also send me your configuration.yaml for this component only (Please remove the lines of code if you have any)?

http:
  use_x_forwarded_for: true
  trusted_proxies:

homeassistant:
  packages: !include_dir_named packages

# Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)
default_config:

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate

group: !include groups.yaml
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml

crowipmodule:
  host: 10.13.0.99
  port: 5002
  keepalive_interval: 60
  timeout: 20
  areas:
    1:
      name: 'Home'
    2:
      name: 'Exterior'
  outputs:
    3:
      name: 'Door 1'
    4:
      name: 'Smoke Detector Power'
  zones:
    1:
      name: 'Entrance'
      type: 'motion'
    2:
      name: 'Terrace'
      type: 'door'
    3:
      name: 'Kitchen Window'
      type: 'window'
    4:
      name: 'Despacho'
    5:
      name: 'Kitchen Motion'
    6:
      name: 'Bedroom Motion'
    7:
      name: 'Child Room'
    8:
      name: 'Child Window Wireless'
      type: 'window'
    9:
      name: 'Child PIR'
    10:
      name: 'Den Motion'
    11:
      name: 'Guest Motion'
    12:
      name: 'Hall Motion'
    13:
      name: 'Hobby Motion'
    14:
      name: 'Bedroom Door'
    15:
      name: 'Guest Door'
    16:
      name: 'Exit Wireless'

Hi folks

Starting question… is it this module I need to buy?

Second - I have a Crow Powerwave - does this work with that model ?

Yes that is the module you need. I can’t comment on whether or not it will work with the Crow Powerwave as I’m not familiar with it; it should indicate it in the manual if it is compatible.

1 Like

I want to thank everyone who has created this. I’m in NZ and about to buy an Arrowhead alarm, so I’m really happy to see it will be accessible in HA. Cheers.

2 Likes

I recently moved into my newly build house which has a EliteControl alarm system from aap.co.nz which I think is the new brand name for the alarm systems. My system includes the ESL-2 APP POD module which seems to be the new Internet module. It allows to connect to the alarm using the EliteControl App.
Wonder if this module is still compatible with the crow runner.

Just for reference, I received the automation IP Module Firmware from AAP named PSTNETH_CONTROL_210_3628.apx which is exactly the same version as the one mentioned in the pinned post at the top. Installed firmware onto ESL-2 APP POD with D-LInk cable and configured static IP on the module.
Installed custom component using HACS and used variation of sample config in HA. restart all sensors are there and alarm panel showed up in HA managed dashboard.
Thanks for making this integration available

Fantastic, really great news that newer versions of the Crow/Arrowhead products can use this integration.

Just a heads up, some of us have found that random devices on the same subnet/VLAN can occasionally send packets that lock up the IPMODULE.

This may not be an issue for you, but if it is, we’ve found putting the IPMODULE on its own VLAN that can be accessed by Home Assistant resolves this.

2 Likes

I also pointed out that it would be great if they would combine the APP functionality with the automation firmware and maybe even provide an integration themselves.
Response from Sales rep. regarding creating an integration:

Oh ok, I see. I can recommend to our R & D team that this is highly sought after and eventually get it integrated if you like?
It most likely won’t happen for a while however as they are currently working on different projects at the moment but it can be put on the list of things to do

The Control4 Integration that is used in my house uses an RS-232 Interface. I think it would be the time to create a proper API for these systems. Time will tell

I added a second ethernet adapter through usb to my Py4 and configured the network under
Settings -> System -> Network

This adapter is connected to my ubiquity switch which connects to vlan profile, IP module is sitting on same profile and nothing else is connected to this vlan.
Not sure if more needs to be configured as I still get connection issues to the crow module. It usually connects fine after a restart of HA but looses connection after a while.

Is there anything else I should do to stabilise the connection?

Is there a reason you are using a second ethernet adaptor? Could you not do it all over the main ethernet adaptor?

Hi all.

I have made the cable to flash the firmware but without success. I followed the schematic posted here, even swapped the rx with tx and all without luck.

I can see the software flash the rx tx icons, but it does not connect.

What can it be?

Cable i used under an lsusb on linux.
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port / Mobile Action MA-8910P

Thanks in advance

Hi Cesar,

Welcome to the thread :slight_smile:

When you say “cable I used under an Isusb on linux” what do you mean? are you trying to use the AAP update app in linux? I think you should be using Windows XP/7 to upgrade. I seem to remember someone having an issue with a particular Windows version, I’m not sure if Win10 will work correctly.

Also have you checked all the serial COM port settings to make sure they match correctly?

Are you using a USB to UART adapter? Is that running at the correct voltage? I.e. 3.3V?

EDIT: Also I would suggest that during the upgrade you disconnect the ethernet and the keypad looms from the IP Module board - all you need is 12V power and the serial connection. I’m not sure if this matters or not, but that is what I did.

Have you done some sanity checks to make sure the VLAN is properly isolated from other traffic on the network? I.e. checked that your Ubiquity switch isn’t somehow passing untagged packets to that VLAN? I’m not familiar with Ubiquity switches so I can’t help diagnose on that end. But it sounds to me like the IP module isn’t correctly isolated from all other traffic.

Are you using a static IP address for the IP module and are the IP addresses on the RPi4 USB-Ethernet adapter in a different subnet than your main ethernet interface?

Hi Jock,
Thanks for the help.

I tried the upgrade with windows 7.

The linux lsusb is just to show the complete reference of the cable. Its a 3.3v (so it seems to be).

The serial com port settings are grayed out i can only choose speed (auto is selected) and the number of the com port, all the rest is grayed out.

Will try to disconnect all the cables and leave just the voltage and the ribon to flash.

What version have you tried to flash?

I went strait to the last one, no luck.

Thanks for the help.

The PSTNETH_CONTROL_210_3628.apx firmware for the AAP Module only supports static IP configuration.

• AAP ESL IP Interface (static): 10.30.0.10 (untagged)
  • ENP1S0U1U2 (dhcp): 10.30.1.100 (untagged)
NAME                   UUID                                  TYPE      DEVICE     
Supervisor eth0        ff66aa16-d2b4-4f40-93b7-316defa5c47c  ethernet  eth0       
Supervisor enp1s0u1u2  5304256c-e2ea-4382-ac36-0c4f81271aed  ethernet  enp1s0u1u2 
HassOS default         f62bf7c2-e565-49ff-bbfc-a4cf791e6add  ethernet  --         

main network is on 192.168.17.x as setup by control4 installers.

I am new to this ubiquity world and not sure if setting the network profile on ports is actually enough.
Might need to do some more research.

I think it could be done over a single interface but I had issues with restarts of HA.
I couldn’t connect to UI as VLAN IP was used for Webserver. Might only be one missing config but thought let’s try the easy way without all this nmcli tweaks.

Hi all, just stumbled across this thread and its got me interested in connecting my arrowhead Elite S Lite alarm up to HA.

My main reason is to use the alarms PIR sensors as occupancy sensors for controlling lighting etc as we move about the house. The key attribute on how successful this is going to be is how quickly the sensor state change is reflected in HA. Not going to be much use if it takes 10s for HA to see the change and it only takes 8 secs to walk the length of the hallway.
I’m not clear on how sensor value changes get propagated to HA, is it via the alarm/IP module writing a string via the telnet session every time a sensor changes even if the alarm is not set, or does it rely on HA polling it for sensor values, and how quickly can the polling be set?

And to clarify, to make this integration as painless as possible i’ll need:
IP module
The 5 wire (keypad/ARR14?) loom
And the correct firmware version on the IP module (hopefully can get arrowhead to install it before shipping)
And the dlink cable/adapter if i need to change the firmware version?
Anything else?

Also, the grey 2x5/2x7 IDC cable isn’t strictly required, but will make reconfiguring the alarm much easier than button mashing the alarm keypad to change options once I start adding sensors/users/zones?

It will be on a managed switch so I can isolate it on a vlan away from noisy devices.