Custom Component: IoTaWatt Energy Monitor integration

This is how I filter it out in the configuration.yaml:

logger:
  default: warning
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.iotawatt: fatal

Any known issues with the Iotawatt integration and the new Beta that is currently available? 2022.3.Beta

Good evening all, i have iotawatt and have been useing your integration gregtd.
Is there any way to make it up date faster than 30 sec?

Thank you

Have a look here Refresh Rate ¡ Issue #3 ¡ gtdiehl/iotawatt_ha ¡ GitHub

1 Like

The iotawatt maintainer has clearly stated his opinion on the matter on how that was a very bad idea due to the increased load on the punny processor found in the iotawatt.

The integration is querying it for a lot of data, rather often, even if every 30s it takes several seconds for the iotawatt to process each query during which it can’t sample the inputs. This has an impact on the sampling rate at which the iotawatt can take its measurement. If you query too often, you’ll get bad data.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this was touched upon yet, but is there a way to enable the Hz and powerfactor sensors?

1 Like

Are we supposed to use the IoTaWatt support built into HA 2022.11.x etc, or should we still be adding in this repository and using the HACS / GitHub release ?

TIA

Ignore the repo. Use the built-in integration

1 Like

I know that shortly after support was integrated into Home Assistant there was still a good reason to use the external integration. But I don’t remember what that was and I’m afraid to switch in fear of losing all my data.

The repo allowed to manually define a unique id which the official integration couldn’t do (the main dev thinks that a unique id must be automatic. But for the iotawatt it makes little sense with outputs).

Problem is that since this custom integration was released it hasn’t been maintained. So it probably won’t run with 2022.11 anymore

Bugger as being able to rename / give a ‘clean’ unique ID, would be good. Be good just to be able to have outputs etc be able to be named to make sense in the Energy Dashboard / not have .wh on the end.

What’s the problem with using the MAC address as the unique id as many other integrations do?

Pretty easy to obtain the MAC address from http://<iotawatt IP/FQDN>/status?wifi=yes

The issue isn’t about assigning a unique Id to the device, but to the output.
Input have a unique ID: the input number from 1 to 14.

But the output name can vary as you wish, and per HA design rules, you can’t use that. So they make up a number. I think that requirement of them is silly and makes zero technical sense. Because the id may be unique but you can still change the formula on the iotawatt

Anyway, there’s nothing we can do about it.

I should also remove all the_Wh entries, it pegs the device too much. Better to use the new iotawatt integrators

Can you link me to the design rules? What’s preventing things like MAC_output1 through to MAC_output14? or if you can’t use words MAC:01 through MAC:14?

There is no output 1 or 14. They aren’t numbered. That’s the whole issue.

Anyhow, I’ve argued this with the HA dev for many days and they always refused our changes. Not going to argue this any further.

If you think you know better, you’re more than welcome to submit a pull request and see how you go.

FWIW the last PR on this subject have been closed with “not planned”

Last one was "outputs" from iotawatt appear twice in HA ¡ Issue #79355 ¡ home-assistant/core ¡ GitHub

Rest assured you’re not arguing with me.
I’m just trying to understand the reasons for the existing resistance.
I use the custom integration and I can’t objectively imagine how the official integration could be considered better.

I’m surprised the custom integration would still be working with any recent HA. They have changed too many things upstream and I’m not aware of recent updates in the custom one to maintain compatibility

I SEEM to be using it.

Custom integration is working fine here 2022.11.3