Custom Component solaredge-modbus-multi

WillCodeForCats, thank you for all your hard work and effort in creating this truly remarkable plugin, which I’ve been highly impressed with.
I like others had some teething issues getting some aspects of my system to work, but the devil is in the details of your Github Configuration. If only I had read it more thoroughly the first time.
Now have both my SolarEdge inverters, meters and battery working, with command control.
I’ve gone as far as to request my installer to disable the ‘time of use’ energy profile (uses a combination of Clipped charging and Maximise Self-Consumption based on time of day) they had created which resulted in some information not being reported in the SolarEdge platform, and replacing it with automations to implement the same.
The net result I now have the best of both worlds, all App reporting data back and more system control than SolarEdge are willing to provide end users.

Question: Is it possible to change the Inverter Export Limit?
Reasoning: I am considering moving to a wholesale rates energy plan. Sometimes during the day the cost of energy can go negative, so it would be handy to be able to turn off export during these periods so as not to get charged for feeding electricity into the grid.

Yes, export control is available. You will need either an export/import meter or consumption meter attached to the inverter to use export control.

1 Like

Thanks mate, you’re a legend.
Must have been having a blonde moment as I hadn’t enabled the Site Limit Control in the integration configuration setup. All there now. Just go to figure out how to do this for my SMA (3rd) inverter now.

@WillCodeForCats are you still looking for testers with Solar Edge Batteries?

I’m currently using your “solaredge-modbus-multi” integration and @Remko Energy Cards some of the info doesn’t align, but I suspect that’s because my set up has two batteries and the code assumes just one.

I’m not a developer, but an experienced IT & Network tech and looking to learn Home Assistant.

Let me know, as I enjoy this stuff but my knowledge of Python is non exisitent, with a little help and guidance I’m sure I can get it working correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Current hardware is:

SolarEdge SE6000H Inverter (with built in EV Charger)
SolarEdge Smart Energy Hot Water
SolarEdge Energy Bank 10Kw x 2

1 Like

I’m using the same configuration and energy.yaml that @Remko developed. My setup is slightly different in that I have:

SE4000H
SE3680H
SE Energy Bank x1

It took me quite a bit of modification to get everything working and displaying as I wanted it to but now it is. I’m happy to offer my code to anyone who wants it to compare with their setup.

I have, however, noticed that since the last update to v2.2.13 my battery state of charge shows to several decimal places, despite the entity settings being a whole number.

Home Assistant 2023.3 changes where rounding takes place. It’s been moved out of core and into the frontend. This means that templates that use sensor values will probably need to add |round() filters.

For percentages the old behavior was to do round(value,0) in the integration, now it’s change to an attribute that signals the default display precision setting in the frontend UI. So in a template you’d add a |round(0) filter for percentages. It looks correct in entity cards and such on dashboards since those use the display precision setting, but it’s only for display: the value in the back end is still the long decimal version.

Since I want the integration to support the new display precision feature in the front end (also the new unit changing feature), the values can’t be rounded in the back end anymore.

1 Like

I believe some people have made changes for multiple batteries, you’ll have to search through the thread. I don’t remember exactly.

Thanks, I’ve spoke to someone who has experience in HA, and they have helped me create a template to combine the batteries. But it’s current failing as two battery sensors are coming up as “unknown” but not on both batteries.

• sensor.solaredge_b1_energy_import (unknown)
  • sensor.solaredge_b1_energy_export (unknown)

Just wondering if this something you are aware of, or know how to fix?

The energy dashboard for the batteries however does add up correct each night at just under 20kWh’s.

There are other sensors for the batteries that are also showing as “unknown” as well, but I’m not sure if this is a database issue in home assistant or expected.

Please see the sensors below for both Battery B1 & B2, here you can see what I mean.

Thanks

Nick

Other users have reported they needed to power cycle their equipment to fix missing sensors:

Ahh didn’t see that section, thank you :+1:

@WillCodeForCats could you help me with your integration please, I’ve now got it working ok with two batteries, B1 & B2.

B1 Energy Import and Export is a little hit and miss, as it keeps loosing the following sensors, and they flip back to “unknown”

• sensor.solaredge_b1_energy_import
  • sensor.solaredge_b1_energy_export

If I reboot Home Assistant it reconnects to both these sensors and B1 Energy Export starts to count up again from 0.00kWh when I think it should remember where it was and carry on counting up like it does for B2 (which works fine) come the morning after the battery has had imports then the other sensor starts to count up again from 0.00kWh and all is back to normal. (apart from low counts for B1)

Is this due to SolarEdge or the integration please?

Energy counters for batteries are often an unreliable source. It’s documented in the Known Issues wiki page. There’s nothing I can do about it since it’s either a battery hardware or firmware problem. You can turn on the Allow Battery Energy to Reset option which would avoid having to restart or reload.

Energy counters for meters and inverters are reliable sources. It’s just batteries that aren’t.

Ok thanks :+1:

Do I have to re-install the integration to enable the “Allow Battery Counters to reset” as I can’t find it in the config?

It’s a configure option, not an install option.

hey…

could you share your energy.yaml with us/me? i would kindly ask for it :slight_smile:

It’s available in this thread here:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/solaredge-modbus-configuration-for-single-inverter-and-battery/464084

I installed this integration with succes.
I have two solaredge inverters (SE4K and SE6K).

In the modbus configuration the master is internet connected.

I can use the modbus data for both inverters.

But to monitor the production I need the SolarEdge integration that needs the API key.

It’s only possible to add the API key of the master.
The API key of the slave is not accepted.

Now it is impossible to monitor the production of the slave SolarEdge inverter.

Any suggestions?

This integration does not use API keys.

I know, this integration doesn’t show the production data, needed for the energy dashboard .

There is a SolarEdge integration for this function.
It requires API key.
But only the master is connected with internet.
The API from the slave inverter is not accepted.

Thus I can’t show the production from the slave in the energy dashboard.

Sure it does, works with my energy dashboard just fine.