[Custom Component] Tapo: Cameras Control

Got it, makes sense, thanks. I guess I will live with the stream as it is given the massive cpu advantage. The overall dashboard looks much better now with the picture inverted though, thanks!

1 Like

I think they also changed something with Wifi modem. According to tapo webpage the C100 has max speed of 150 Mbps (802.11 n), but the new one C110 only 72.2Mbps (802.11n). C200/C210 the same. Maybe the 3MP camera causes some interference to the internal antenna?

BTW1 I think the TC60 and TC70 are made for some European company as “exclusivity”, because the have only CE certificate, no FCC.

BTW2 After some googling I was right:

The new Tapo TC60 and Tapo TC70 from TP-Link are similar to the existing Tapo C100 and Tapo C200 model that we’ve reviewed previously. However, these 2 new models are exclusive for Lazada and Shopee hence the difference in model name.
TP-Link Tapo Camera Review: Best affordable WiFi camera (TC60 TC70)

1 Like

This integration is amazing, however, when sending PTZ commands (or Privacy ON/OFF commands), I sometimes get an “error_code”: -64301

It happens maybe one out of 5 times the command is sent. Has it happened to anybody else?

It was happening to me, it is caused by camera being slow. What I did was put in a delay in script which is turning on/off privacy mode and setting ptz.

Hi all. Im trying to install this into my HA system via HACS and having all sorts of issues. It looks like the pip install of onvif-zeep-async is failing. I have tried to install it manually into my venv by running “python3 -m pip install onvif-zeep-async”, but this then fails when it tries to install lxml. It looks like lxml has to compile something during the install using gcc but this fails.

My pythen 3.8 install is manually installed from source, not via the package manager. I can see other people had to install python-dev, but that wouldn’t work. I have tried installing lxml from the package manager, but the venv doesn’t pick that up and it still tries to install the pip package which then fails.

Any help? Thanks

Thanks for the response! That’s how I’ve set it up and they still fail on me every other time. My sequence is:

When some arrives home:
-Cam1 PTZ point at ceiling
-Delay 2s
-Cam2 PTZ point at ceiling
-Delay 20 s (To give both cameras time to finish moving)
-Cam1 Privacy ON
-Delay 2s
-Cam2 Privacy ON

When home is empty:
-Cam1 Privacy OFF
-Delay 2s
-Cam2 Privacy OFF
-Delay 2s
-Cam1 PTZ point at room
-Delay 2s
-Cam2 PTZ point at room

Do you think I need bigger delays?

Also, do you guys know if I can catch that error and act on it? I’m working with scripts
Thanks!

Here is my setup, main scripts:

Alert:

service: script.turn_on
target:
  entity_id:
    - script.set_bedroom_camera_away
    - script.set_dining_room_camera_away
    - script.set_entry_room_camera_away
    - script.set_hallway_camera_away
    - script.set_living_room_camera_away
    - script.set_office_camera_away

Privacy:

service: script.turn_on
target:
  entity_id:
    - script.set_bedroom_camera_home
    - script.set_dining_room_camera_home
    - script.set_entry_room_camera_home
    - script.set_hallway_camera_home
    - script.set_living_room_camera_home
    - script.set_office_camera_home

Example of set camera away:

data:
  privacy_mode: 'off'
service: tapo_control.set_privacy_mode
entity_id: camera.bedroom_hd
service: tapo_control.ptz
data:
  preset: Room

Example of camera home mode:

data:
  preset: Privacy
service: tapo_control.ptz
delay: '00:00:10'
service: tapo_control.set_privacy_mode
data:
  privacy_mode: 'on'

This way cameras all execute actions at the same time and have been working correctly from what I can tell. The delay is there only for waiting for camera to finish turning.

Hello all

I can see the ffmpeg entity but its as unavailable

What is the input that I should insert?

ffmpeg:
stream:

binary_sensor:

• platform: ffmpeg_noise
    name: ffmpeg_cam_hall
    input: rtsp://user:pass@localcameraIP:554/stream1
    peak: -50
    duration: 1
    reset: 10

Hello. You are using ffmpeg_noise which has nothing to do with this integration.

For sound detection via this integration check GitHub - JurajNyiri/HomeAssistant-Tapo-Control: Control for Tapo cameras as a Home Assistant component .

I just set up my new Tapo C200 camera and it integrated seamlessly with Home Assistant. I also managed to create great automations, following the official HACS repository. However, I don’t understand why Auto Track Mode doesn’t work for me.

On this repository it says: “Auto Track Mode does not work on firmware 1.1.7 or higher. Camera responds correctly, and even reports state, but no longer moves to follow object”. However I didn’t upgrade my camera firmware (its firmware is 1.1.4).

Then, always on this repository, it says:

"Following target TCP ports must be open in firewall for the camera to access your Tapo Camera from Home Assistant and to make Auto Track Mode working:

443 - HTTPS for control of the camera (services)554 - RTSP to fetch video stream from the camera2020 - ONVIF to track detected movement via a binary sensor"

I opened these ports on my router admin page, creating new forwarding rules… However Auto Track Mode does not work…

Anyone can help? What am I missing?

Thank You!!!

No it does not and never did say that, also it was never near the auto track section.

" Following target TCP ports must be open in firewall for the camera to access your Tapo Camera from Home Assistant:"

“and to make Auto Track Mode working” is not mentioned next to it, or anywhere in the repo for that matter.

You only need to open these ports if using vlans, and not to public ip via port forwarding, that makes your camera publicly available and opens it up to vulnerability attacks.

Auto track was never officially supported via the Tapo app. Firmware versions are also all over the place depending on models so that information might not be 100% correct. It was added there when C200 firmware was released. Since then they changed firmware versioning.

If it doesn’t work there is nothing you can do about it.

Thank you very much for the quick response!
I’m from Italy… Could it be that changing the zone and server from which I connect can work? For example by connecting to an American or Chinese server?
Thank you for your support! I deleted the rules made in my router admin page!!!

No it will make no difference, integration uses local access.

Do I need to set up static IP on the devices?

And is there any option (calling a service or similar) to take a photo (and send it via telegram)? I’m going to receive tomorrow my Tapo and I’m thinking posibilities

If the IP changes, integration will stop working, just like any other integration using IP address.

1 Like

Ok, there are some integrations that auto discovery new IP of device, but if not possible with Tapo, I will set static IP to be sure

Tapo does discover cameras automatically* but once set up, IP needs to stay, similarly to others.

*if DHCP Discovery - Home Assistant enabled

1 Like

Hello, I have installed this component on my home assistant however it asks me to manually add the ip address of the camera. When doing this I get a connection failed error even though the ip address if the camera is correct. Here is a screenshot below. All ports are forwarded.
I can also sucessfully RTSP to the camera with VLC media player.

Hello, you need to be able to access ports 443, 554 and 2020 on that ip address from your Home Assistant. Connection failed means the connection to one or all of those failed.