[Custom Component] Tapo: Cameras Control

I would suggest using the internet block method first, but if you want firmware, just find the one for C225 and your HW version of camera following the guide.

Read the guide. Our posts must have crossed. I see these three files, not sure what I should be downloading:

firmware/Tapo_C225v1_en_1.0.16_Build_230111_Rel.35908n__1677032558495.bin.rollback
firmware/Tapo_C225v1_en_1.0.16_Build_230111_Rel.35908n__1677032611288.bin.rollback
firmware/Tapo_C225v1_en_1.0.16_Build_230111_Rel.35908n__1677032677512.bin.rollback

Choose the one ending with .bin, lower than build 230921, matching your camera hw version. There are multiple hw versions.

Assuming you have c225 v1, this or this for example might work.

Try at your own risk of course.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info. I downloaded the correct one, but got stuck there as I don’t have a Windows machine to run diskpart. I will try doing another factory reset.

I had to reset twice for it to stick, also second time I had the app ready to go as soon as the reset took hold.

I have both downgraded firmware and blocked the DNS queries. And it worked yesterday. And today, I get this:
tapo1

So I got to re-authenticate, and I get this which is OK:
tapo2

But then get this, which obviously is not OK:
tapo3

And yes, I’ve been VERY careful to use the exact same password both for the cloud and in the camera account settings. And my email address has no caps.

Compounding my confusion, when I did the downgrade yesterday thanks to assistance here, it worked. I changed the setting in the app to not auto-update, that was the first thing I did.

And then shortly after downgrading the firmware, an update message came up in HA asking me to update Tapo. Not sure if that was for the integration or new firmware, but all of a sudden, my camera started to update despite the fact I had set it not to. Does HA update the firmware?

Getting very frustrated to the point I’m thinking of replacing the TAPO camera with a Reolink. There seem (currently) to be no problem with those.

It updates the camera firmware when you click on it and click update. It shows you it’s a firmware upgrade, and the version and you can choose to skip.

You can follow GitHub - JurajNyiri/HomeAssistant-Tapo-Control: Control for Tapo cameras as a Home Assistant component

I almost did that myself but realised just in time that it’s a firmware update. To save myself screwing it up again when HA restarts (it’ll show up again until you select skip), I wrote an automation to automatically toggle it off on a restart.

I feel for you though, this has been frustrating. Here is the automation in case anyone finds it usefull. Of coure change the entity_id: list to your own entity ids.

alias: Tapo Cams Skip Update
description: Skip firmware updates for Tapo Cameras
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - update.tt_8l_roomminder_01_update
      - update.tt_8l_roomminder_02_update
      - update.tt_8l_gatekeeper_update
    to: "on"
condition: []
action:
  - service: update.skip
    target:
      entity_id:
        - update.tt_8l_roomminder_01_update
        - update.tt_8l_roomminder_02_update
        - update.tt_8l_gatekeeper_update
    data: {}
mode: single

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I already noticed it kept coming back. How do you get that automation to run at boot time?

That’s the first part of the automation, it’ll trigger the moment the entities state changes to “on”, which restarting HA will always do. The second part toggles the state to “off” AKA ‘skip’.

Got it, thanks.

You can also just disable update entities if you do not need them.

2 Likes

Hello. Today i first upgraded my Tapo C100 camera to the latest firmware. Then i noticed that this firmware is not supported by your integration (could not add the camera). So i did a downgrade and can now add the camera to your integration. But i am getting a configuration error and so no entity for the camera. The log tells the following:

Logger: homeassistant.config_entries
Source: config_entries.py:586
First occurred: 21:49:52 (7 occurrences)
Last logged: 21:58:31

Error setting up entry 192.168.1.123 for tapo_control
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py”, line 586, in async_setup
result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/config/custom_components/tapo_control/init.py”, line 283, in async_setup_entry
entry.unique_id = DOMAIN + host
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py”, line 426, in setattr
raise AttributeError(
AttributeError: unique_id cannot be changed directly, use async_update_entry instead

Any ideas what i am donig wrong?
Camera firmware is: 230821
Home Assistant version: 2024.7.3

Update to the latest version of integration.

1 Like

Ohhhh! You are right! Now it works. :slight_smile: Thank you!
I clicked the „add integration“ in the first post in this topic for installation. Did not know that this is installing an old version. :wink:
IMG_0407

Hi Rick, can you explain me how you added your C520WS to home assistant integration?

1. Block internet access to your cameras IP address.
  2. Do NOT upgrade firmware and turn off automatic updates in the app.
  3. Setup a camera account in the app as described in the docs for this integration as well as Tapo’s ONVIF/NVR docs. This is not your Tapo account but a direct to specific camera account.
  4. Follow the docs for installing this integration and the step by step instructions to add your camera, it’s really quite straight forward as long as you understand the difference between your specific camera account and your Tapo account.

Beyond that we’d need to know where you’re stuck and why.

Whenever I get an update notice for this HACS component, I run it then try to add one of my C210 cameras. Every time, I get the same error: password incorrect (but it’s not; it’s not). I use the Tapo app as well as HA, so I don’t want to block internet access for my cameras. Will there ever be an update that lets me add my C210 cameras again?

Hi

new to tapo cameras and tapo control
thx for the doc, was able to workaround the latest firmware issues :slight_smile:

I need help for the video storage location
Home Assistant runs in a VM on my Synology NAS and has access to a NAS folder under ./media/NAS where I’d like the recordings to be stored for easy “external” access as \naserwan\Cameras for instance (yes, I know didn’t pick the same names…)

What do I put there? Nothing seems to work

Thx!

First create a Network Storage. ‘Setting’ then ‘System’ then ‘Storage’ then ‘Add Network Storage’. Create your storage.
In Tapo:Camera Control, the correct path will be /(the usage)/(the name), i.e. /media/camera or /share/camera or /backup/camera, whichever usage and name you created.