[Custom Component] Tapo: Cameras Control

Did it already, doesn’t seem to work, recording end up elsewhere

Tapo Control is configured like this

But recording do not end up there :confused:

Home Assistant can see and access it BTW

The ‘.’ is not needed. This is how mine is configured and it is working for me.

strong text

Thx!
that was simply it
Works like a charm now without the . at the beginning

1 Like

Any word on a permanent fix to the Tapo firmware issue? I know that the developer was working with Tapo to get info on their new API, but I’m wondering if they are responding or if they have no interest in local control through third-party apps.

I have posted an update yesterday.

Sorry, I scrolled up a bit before I posted and didn’t see it.

Learn more, get latest updates, ask a question or discuss.

Thank you @JurajNyiri I had not seen that thread with the updates. Very helpful. I hope the decision is positive, otherwise no more Tapo for me. So tough sometimes to stay local.

2 Likes

Hello,
Please @JurajNyiri, is there any chance to resolve auth problem on firmware build 230921 and higher?

Updates are in readme.

1 Like

I’m using Tapo Camera Control with 2 C425 cameras, I know it was not intended to be used with these cameras but for my needs it is extremely useful. I’m using it to turn the camera motion and people detection on and off at certain times with automation and also to download the recording to a local NAS. My problem is if I leave on “Enable media synchronization” I lose 1% of the battery charge per hour, even with a solar panel charging the camera. If I enable this during the day when I’m getting peak solar charging for about an hour, it copies all of the recordings, then I turn it off, and everything is fine.

I’m trying my best to find a way to automate this, but “Enable media synchronization” is not an entity and I can’t turn it off or on. The best I can do right now is send a reminder notification to turn it on and off manually.

Does any know of any way I can automate turn this setting on and off?

Hi open a feature request on GitHub I can change this.

In the meantime you could in theory write a script that changes the value inside the json itself and then restarts HA. Not a nice solution though.

Done! Thank you. I will play around with using a script also.

You’ve created an awesome component, thank you for all your hard work on it. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any success in using the Tapo Camera Control (for all the control it provides) in conjunction with Scrypted to utilize HKSV?

My thought is to use WebRTC (as noted above) to feed Scrypted. However, I’m not sure how to then utilize the motion detection. Alternatively, I could utilize Scrypted and then import the feed back to HA using the Generic Camera. However, I believe that the Tapo Control still connects to the camera, counting towards the streaming limit of 2.

You can disable camera entities or even better - in integration options you can enter custom rtsp stream link, just set it to scrypted link.

I think I maybe daft. I put in the custom stream link, and then do I leave the HD image and SD image enabled? Is it just overrideing the steam from the camera?

Correct, put in the custom rtsp link, restart, leave entities enabled. They will use stream from the link you provided.

Thanks again for the reply, and my apologies if the questions are dumb. From looking at the scrypted logs, it seems that when using the custom RTSP link that both the HD and SD stream are the same. Is my understanding correct?

Correct you can disable one of them